Oprah Winfrey’s final season begins today with her 25th “Oprah” season premiere. Oprah, of course, is leaving broadcast TV for cable, where her very own Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) debuts next year. Will she give away more cars? Tell us about her favorite things (that we can’t afford to buy)? Couch jump with Tom Cruise? We don’t know the answers to those questions, but we do know a few things about the upcoming season, including the first guest: John Travolta.
The celebrity dad will appear on today’s show, where he dances with Winfrey in a great opening clip. He’ll presumably talk about wife Kelly Preston’s pregnancy as well, and also reflect on the tragic loss of his 16-year-old son.
Read on for the adorable clip of Travolta dancing, plus six other things about “Oprah’s” last season.
1. She’ll feature plenty of guest shots with Nate Berkus, since her company is producing the newly launched “The Nate Berkus Show.”
2. She’ll be gone next spring – but not forgotten. She’s expected to host a new show on OWN, though it’s not clear yet what that will be. Probably travel-related.
3. She’s promised to put a big focus on fans this season. I smell another big giveaway …
4. The “Oprah” producers are combing through an incredible 70,000 stories from viewers to feature on this year’s season.
5. No one knows who will replace her on stations across the country, which counted on her big ratings as healthy lead-ins to their local news programs.
6. One can’t help but wonder which TV star will be next to get his or her own channel after Oprah – Martha Stewart is taking over much of Hallmark Channel, but it will keep its name, and TBS sometimes feels like one long Tyler Perry sitcom.