The Daily Show’s acclaimed Senior British Correspondent has got himself a girl. John Oliver has gotten engaged to Kate Norley, a what a woman she is! She ain’t no wallflower. She’s an Iraq vet. So who is Kate Norley? Here are 9 fascinating things about John Oliver’s future wife and perhaps baby mamma.
• Kate opted to enlist in the military after the terrorist attacks on 9/11. She put her “education on hold” to join up.
• Her basic training took place in Ft. Jackson, in South Carolina. She then got medical training at Ft. Sam Houston in Texas. After completing her training, she was assigned to Fr. Hood in Texas where she took on desert-warfare training in the Mojave Desert, CA..
• In 2003 she was deployed to Iraq and was on a combat-tour, as a medic, for sixteen months. She was located in Fallujah, Sadr City, and Ramadi.
• She was awarded the Combat Medic Badge for her service of providing medical care while under fire.
• While deployed she began to specialize in handling combat stress and was the only combat-stress specialist that was a woman, keeping an eye on 20,000 troops.
• One of her jobs while in Iraq was to identify the remains of fallen soldiers along with the Mortuary Affair team.
• Oliver and Norley met at the 2008 Republican National Convention. Oliver was doing a bit for The Daily Show and Norley was there campaigning with Vets for Freedom.
• After returning from the war, she attended George Washington University and worked on her medical degree. She also has worked for the Vets for Freedom organization. But now, she’s taking it easier saying, “I was a medic in the Army. It was difficult, but right now it’s nice that I get to spend time with the love of my life.” John added, “It’s the most emasculating thing I could possibly do to go out with someone who has actually done something valuable with their life,” he adds jokingly.
• She became engaged to Oliver while on vacation in St. Thomas. They had been together for two years. They plan to wed sometime next year.
Check out this TV appearance by Norley here.
<object width=”480″ height=”385″><param name=”movie” value=”http://www.youtube.com/v/vDORvZJKr-k?fs=1&hl=en_US”></param><param name=”allowFullScreen” value=”true”></param><param name=”allowscriptaccess” value=”always”></param><embed src=”http://www.youtube.com/v/vDORvZJKr-k?fs=1&hl=en_US” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” width=”480″ height=”385″></embed></object>
Photo: PR Photos/Facebook