The Pain Lingers: Dennis Quaid Files New Suit Over Twins' Overdose


dennis quaid twins overdose

Though it’s been three years since Dennis Quaid’s twins nearly died from an in-hospital overdose, he and wife haven’t quite moved on. To give them credit, the original incident was eye-opening and unfathomably sad. 

While at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, one of the best in the country, the Quaid twins (Thomas Boone Quaid and, at left, Zoe Grace Quaid)  were mistakenly given too much (massively too much!) of the blood-thinning drug Heparin. The hospital apologized, saying the incident was a “preventable error.” Quaid and wife Kimberly settled their beef with Cedars-Sinai for $500,000 last year. Yet now, the Quaids have found someone else to sue.

They’ve filed a lawsuit against Baxter Healthcare Corp., the maker of Heparin. claiming that confusing packaging of the drug caused the mix-up. They may be right, I haven’t seen the packaging. And if they are, their suit could benefit kids all over—assuming drug makers take note, and relook at all of their packaging and dosing instructions. 

At the same time, the suit at this late date just underscores how heavily the incident still weighs on Dennis and Kimberly. My heart goes out to them.

Tagged as: