Who is Kirsten Gillibrand? That’s what everyone wants to know after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid referred to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) as the Senate’s “hottest member.” Umm, unless you’re referring to the fact that’s she’s constantly running a fever, I don’t think that’s an appropriate way to refer to a member of Congress. He may have just lost the women’s vote in his reelection bid.
So who is Kirsten Gillibrand, beyond her looks? She’s a mom of two, a wife and a lawyer. Here’s five things about her:
1. She took over Sen. Hillary Clinton’s seat as New York senator when Clinton left to become secretary of state. Gillibrand had been a member of the House of Representatives before that.
2. She attended Emma Willard School in Troy, New York, the first all women’s high school in the United States.
3. She graduated magna cum laude from Dartmouth in 1988 and went to UCLA for law school.
4. She was once named to The Hill magazine’s 50 most beautiful list, which is like the People list for Capitol Hill.
5. She has a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old son with her husband, Jonathan.