If it seems like Idris Elba’s name has been everywhere the past week, well, it has. He appears as a painter on the new Showtime series “The Big C” with Laura Linney (you know, the “comedy” about cancer, a real crack-you-up subject) and he’s also starring in the new BBC America detective series “Luther,” premiering this fall.
But the juiciest news of all is that he may succeed Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross in the series of movies based on James Patterson’s mystery novels.
Love Morgan Freeman, but the Cross character is written quite a bit younger than Freeman is, so I am psyched about the potential replacement and went digging for a big more on Mr. Elba, who is the father of one. Here’s what I found.
– He’s pals with Diddy and Ludacris and he has some bona fide musical credentials of his own: He performed on the intro of Jay-Z’s “American Gangster” album and has DJ’d for BET and some NBA All-Star Game parties.
– He has a daughter, Isan, with his ex-wife, and he resides in Atlanta to be close to her. (Uh, the daughter.)
– He’s easy on the eyes. He’s been named one of Essence magazine’s 10 hottest men on the planet twice, and he made People’s 100 most beautiful list three years ago.
– If he gets the Cross gig (it’s still in negotiations), he’ll start with the movie “Cross,” the 12th book in Patterson’s series.
– Elba also appears in the 2011 comic book adaption “Thor.”
– He’s an ardent tweeter, and that may be understating it. As of noon, his Twitter page already had 18 updates this morning, including a couple posts about his “Steve Harvey Morning Show” appearance this a.m.