If you’re like me, “getting healthy” was number 1 on your New Year’s resolution list. Was that you too? I knew it was, it always is.
Year after year, I vow to start a healthy lifestyle and it seems to end within a few weeks. Well, I’ve got 5 ways to help keep to my new goal all year long. We still have 2 weeks in January and I’m still making it work with these tips below.
1. Chewing Gum: I’ve bought packs of it. Cinnamon, yum!! Makes me feel like I’m chompin’ on one of my favorite candies: Hot Tomales!! It’s only 5 little calories and gives me an hour or two. And I’m also improving my bubble blowing. I’ve been teaching my son how to blow a bubble. It’s a harder skill teach than I thought it would be!
2. Prepping Ahead of Time: I’m starting to plan my meals a week in advance. I make a list and buy groceries and prep as much of the food as I can ahead of time. So far, it’s working out perfect! Chicken is one item that is good to cook in bulk to use in 2 or 3 meals. And salads are great to prep ahead of time, minus the dressing. Having it prepped and ready in the fridge helps cuts down on time and makes it easy to choose something healthy.
3. Calling on a Friend: I’m rallying everyone I know to join me. I’ve found a little crew who is in this with me. I know it’s going to help to check in on each other. We’ll share recipes, snack ideas, and keep each other on the healthy road. Really, everything is better when you have someone you can share it with.
4. Water, Water, Everywhere: Good old fashioned water. When ever I want food, I drink a glass of water first. Because I’m usually not really hungry, I’m just looking for a treat or something to eat because I’m bored. So I try to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge and make sure it’s full. It’s also good to buy a reusable water bottle to take with you everywhere.
5. Get the Whole Family Involved: That means everyone living in your house. Thankfully, my husband is doing this with me. We check in on each other throughout the day, asking each other what we had for lunch. Then I will cook a healthy dinner, Jordan will often shop for the groceries. Even our children are on board with us. We’re not really giving them a choice. They have to eat the pile of salad on their plates, they just do! And happily, everyone is giving this whole eating healthy 2 thumbs up!
How are you making it work? Share your tips and tricks, as I know we can always use more ideas to help us stay on track!
For more ideas from Marie, visit her blog at Make and Takes.