Crafting is fun! But, it can also get very expensive.
We see all these amazingly inspiring projects on blogs and Pinterest, get motivated to completely change our space and the next thing we know we are staring at a 8′x’10 rug loom in our living room and contemplating how long it’s going to take to hand-weave our latest project. How long it’s going to take and really, if in the long-run if it would’ve been cheaper to just buy a rug in the 1st place?
It comes down to this: time or money.
With crafting and DIY-ing, consider these questions:
- How long will it take to make this myself?
- Will it be worth the time it takes to make it myself?
- Will I enjoy the process?
- Will I be able to use the craft supplies for future projects?
- Will I really be saving money after I get all the supplies, spend the time learning how to create the project, and then actually make the project?
These are all things to weigh and consider. The good thing about craft supplies as is that they don’t expire or go bad (well, most of them don’t) so a large majority of supplies can be used for future projects (at least that’s what I tell myself).
Next time you start thinking about a project to create ask yourself the questions above and see how it all shakes out. You just might be surprised to find that buying pre-made is less-expensive that making it yourself.
Have you had an experience where you skipped the DIY and bought it yourself finding that you saved money in the long-run?
image by Lorena Cupcake