It’s all I can do to get out of bed these days — what with the snot, sinus headaches, and overall body pain. Luckily, we have everything I need to treat the symptoms right here already. The advantage of keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet is you don’t have to get out and shop when you don’t feel well.
Not to mention, you can buy everything when it’s on sale rather than paying full price when you need it.
When I woke up feeling crummy last week, I turned right to my cold & flu kit to get through the day. I had OTC sinus meds, saline, and pain reliever on hand. And, when the girls came home from school coughing & whining later that day, I had cough drops and medicine just for them.
Whatever we use up in our first battle with cold season will go straight on my shopping list. I can watch for deals, clip coupons, and restock for the next time. That way, I’ll always have just what we need before we need it. Here’s what we keep fully stocked at all times:
- Cough & Cold medicine — for adults & children
- Pain reliever/fever reducer — again, for adults & children
- Flu relief — Nyquil, Dayquil, Theraflu, etc
- Pepto Bismol — grateful we’ve avoided stomach bugs so far this year. (Knock wood!)
- Vicks Vaporub
- Tissues — I usually avoid paper products, but this time of year we’ll keep them around!
Be sure to go through your medicine cabinet regularly, to properly dispose of expired medicines and keep track of what needs to be replenished. And, be sure to discuss any medications with your doctor — not all OTC medications are recommended for children.
Photo Credit: Flickr