Well hallo! I’m Amy Anderson, and am very pleased to be here with you as part of the new Home Ec section of Babble.com. Home Ec has changed a lot since I was in school. I remember sewing the most heinous shirt in my high school Home Ec class – I used a serger for the first time to do it. It was white with blue roses on it, and to finish the “assignment” (and get an A) I had to not only sew the shirt but wear it for the entire day. Let’s just say that I didn’t realize I would have to wear it when I made it, and my rockin’ roses knit with a boxy fit didn’t impress anyone. In fact, the fit was so horrible that I tried to hide for the whole day. I would have stayed in my locker if I had fit.
Like I said. Home Ec has changed a lot.
It’s fun, you can save a lot of money and it’s so satisfying. Plus you create beautiful things. And that is what I hope to share with you. Beautiful things that you will want to make or do for yourself.
Before I get cracking, I would like to take an entry to share a few things about me. Here’s what you should know:
- I have been knitting since I was 15 – I also love sewing, general crafting, home decor and refurbishing.
- I’m particularly inspired by the mid-century modern era.
- I love Hello Kitty.
- I wear bright colors and stripes or polka dots every day.
- I’m the oldest girl of five children. I have four younger brothers. So I’m a bit of a tomboy.
- I have been known to do projects with glitter moustaches.
- I run and/or co-run three blogs: Mod Podge Rocks, Decor Hacks and Crafterminds. Blogging is the most satisfying thing I’ve ever done.
- You can find me on Twitter @modpodgerocks or at my Facebook fan page all the time – I’m quite chatty.
I’m looking so forward to sharing my life and some projects with you. This is going to be so fun, and I can’t wait to get started!