Rapper Lil Wayne sat down with Katie Couric and he gave some insight as to the kind of person he is – besides being famous. Perhaps, if you’re a huge Weezy fan, you already knew most of what he talked about, but if he’s not at the top of your list of performers, maybe you didn’t know much about the man. He explains why he prefers to be called Wayne (his real name is Dwayne, but refuses to be called that), talks about how Hurricane Katrina affected him and he’s a proud dad of two kids, who he hopes to be a role model for.
Video after the jump!
Ten things we didn’t know (or heck, maybe you did):
1. Lil Wayne says he’s a gansta – means he doesn’t take anything from anyone, does what he wants. Wait ’til his infant son is a “gansta” doing what he wants when he should be studying for a test – how will Weezy handle that baby?!
2. He’s going to rap/sing until the day he dies, or he’ll just die. Sure, and when his kids are in their teens, they’ll be embarrassed by their dad’s grills.
3. He’s covered in tattoos (ya, fan or not, we know this). What will he say when daughter Reginae says she wants a backside tattoo? Will daddy say yes?
4. Weezy has a wide variety of fans – he’s seen it all. Are you a fan?
5. Fans love his rock hard abs – Wayne sometimes performs in his underwear – or at least his pants are half way down his body. I used to hate when my dad went to work at the bank in his underwear. So totally embarrassing.
6. He loves bowling. He bonds with daughter Reginae playing the Wii bowling – and he actually bowls, even has his own custom bowling balls! Who knew a hip hop mega-star could be so normal?
7. Wayne grew up in one of the poorest areas of New Orleans – he began writing music as a kid to express himself. When Katrina hit, he remembered where he came from – donating $200,000 to build a neighborhood park. See? He does have heart!
8. His real name is Dwayne, but goes by Wayne. Why? He’s a Jr., and his father has not been a part of his life, so he dropped the “D” and refuses to be called Dwayne. Might be a tough rapper, but he’s human too.
9. He was addicted to prescription cough syrup – but says he’s not any longer. He hinted that he still drinks it, but is not addicted. He suffers from migraines and says he uses weed for “medicinal” purposes. Of course!
10. He says he’s not a role model for people on how to live their lives – says if you need an example of how to live, then you shouldn’t have been born. He says he’s a role model for two only - that would be his daughter Reginae, 10, and his 3 month-old son, Dwayne Carter III. I have to give him credit for that.