Ahmet Zappa is many things, the son of late legendary musician Frank Zappa, producer of several television shows and movies (including The Odd Life of Timothy Green), a writer, and a dad.
I recently interviewed Zappa via email to discuss fatherhood and his new book Because I’m Your Dad:
Whit Honea: What inspired you to write children’s books?
Ahmet Zappa: I just love kids and I especially love my daughter Halo. The moment I found out I was going to be a father Because I’m Your Dad jumped out of my head. I think I like writing kids’ books because I’m still just a big kid myself.
WH: Do you read your book to your daughter? Does she understand that you wrote it and that other dads are reading it to their kids?
AZ: I do read it to her and she loves it. My nickname for Halo since the day she was born has been “Smushy Pants” or “Smushy” and she totally understands that I wrote it for her. She identifies with the little pink Smushy Monster in the book and knows that I’m the big green monster dad. It is the best feeling in the world reading it to her. Halo likes sharing “her” book with her friends so that their dads can read “her” adventures to them. Tons of pride on her little face….cutest thing ever…and makes me so proud in return.
WH: What is your favorite part about being a dad?
AZ: Making my daughter laugh and seeing the world through her eyes. It is amazing. She is my best friend and greatest teacher. Nothing is better than being Halo’s dad.
WH: How much of the book is actually inspired by your own parenting experience, e.g., do you really let your daughter eat ice cream in the bathtub?
AZ: The book is all true. In a way it is a 90% combination of things that I did with my dad and mom in my own life and 10% the things I intend to do with Halo as her dad. Yes, for sure she can have ice cream in the bathtub….everyone should try that.
WH: You take a pretty hard stance on monsters over robots. Where do aliens and super heroes fit into the rankings?
AZ: Monsters are the best. Monsters can be heroes. Aliens and robots are still cool, but seriously monsters rule.
WH: A lot of your recent success has been in family fare, is there a conscious effort to create art your own child can enjoy, or is it a result of seeing the creative process through the ever-present dad lens?
AZ: I just naturally like the family space to create in. Family is important to me. Being a dad is a benefit to my creative process and gives me a ton of insight. I’m having the time of my life. I am so grateful for the bonds I have with my wife and daughter.
Because I’m Your Dad is available from Disney/Hyperion and it is out now. It makes a great Father’s Day gift!
It also makes a great prize, which is why we are giving five lucky Babble readers a chance to win a copy!
How to Enter:
- Prize: Five (5) winners will each receive one (1) copy of Ahmet Zappa’s book Because I’m Your Dad. Winners picked at random, each will receive one book.
- To enter, leave a comment below stating something your child can do because you’re their dad/mom! Please include a valid email in the space provided (not within the actual comment text box).
- Only one (1) entry per person is allowed. Only residents of the U.S. that are 18 and older with a valid address are eligible to enter.
- The Giveaway entry period starts today, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, at the time of this posting, and ends on Friday, June 21, 2013 at 11:59:59 PM PST.
- Five (5) potential winners will be picked in a random drawing on or about Saturday, June 22, and notice will be sent to that person via the email address they have provided. If you are a potential winner but fail to claim your prize within three (3) days of us sending you notice, or are otherwise in non-compliance with the Giveaway rules, then we will choose an alternate winner.
- We will announce the winners in an updated version of this post once confirmation of prize acceptance is verified.
- No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Odds will depend on the number of eligible entries. See the complete general rules and eligibility requirements that apply to all Giveaways here.