Food

Homemade Girl Scout Cookies: Thin Mints

By Brooke McLay |

Girl Scout cookie season is here (they go on sale Friday)!  In no time at all, you’ll see little green and brown vested tots selling their sweet wares in front of grocery stores, around your neighborhood, through church, and work, and school.  Girl Scout cookies have been a fundraiser for the Girl Scout association for years.  Their cookie recipes are top secret and totally delicious.  Caramel deLit Samoa’s, chocolatey Thin Mints, peanut buttery Do Si Do’s.  No matter which you like best, one thing is for sure, you’re sure to like one of the Girl Scout offerings.  The cookies are classic and totally delicious.

Here, we’ve taken the flavors of the classic Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies and recreated them in our kitchen.  The cookies are simple and wickedly delicious. Just like the original cookies that inspired them.

Homemade Chocolate-Thin Mint Cookies

Cocoa Wafer Cookies
3 T. butter
1 egg white
1/4 c. brown sugar
pinch of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. flour (plus 1/4 c.)
2 drops pure peppermint oil
Combine all ingredients together. Add flour as needed, until dough is roll-able and not sticky at all. Roll verrrry thin. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 325 for 4-7 minutes, or until cookies have firmed and browned slightly around edges. Remove from oven and cool.
Peppermint Buttercream Layer
2 c. powdered sugar
4 T. melted butter
2-3 drops pure peppermint oil
1/2 tsp. heavy whipping cream
Mix together until it becomes thick and easy to roll with a rolling pin. Roll until about 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shape. Place atop cooled cookies. Place cookies into melted chocolate CANDIQUIK, spoon chocolate atop until fully covered. Allow to dry on a piece of parchment paper. Makes about 30 cookies

About Brooke McLay

brooke-mclay

Brooke McLay

Brooke McLay is a recipe developer, food writer, food photographer, and cooking show host for Babble, General Mills, and Good Cook. You can find and follow her latest whims at Cheeky Kitchen. Read bio and latest posts → Read Brooke's latest posts →

« Go back to Food

63 thoughts on “Homemade Girl Scout Cookies: Thin Mints

1. Taylor says:

Thin Mints are my favorite Girl Scout cookie! Maybe this year I’ll save some $$ and make my own!

2. Stef says:

I have an AMAZING thin mint recipe. Melt baking semi-sweet chocolate over a double boiler and add 2-3 drops of peppermint extract. Then dip RITZ crackers into the chocolate and set aside on wax paper. Re-dip for thicker coating. Cool on the counter top or in the fridge. Easy and tastes EXACTLY like the Girl Scout cookies!

3. Denise says:

If these thin mint cookies as good as the one I buy then I’m in trouble lol as much as I love these cookies lol

4. Sarah says:

@Stef: My Grandmother males those! Soooo delicious! She does it at Christmas time though, then she sprinkles broken candycane pieces on top. Sometimes she makes them at Easter as well.

5. april says:

Stef- interesting take on thin mints. I’m definitely interested in giving your recipe a shot! Thanks for submitting!

6. Chris K says:

since when does the Girl Scout thin mint cookie have a peppermint buttercream layer? I believe the mint flavor is in the chocolate coating… isn’t it?

7. Cathy says:

I made homemade thin mints using melting chocolate, melted in the microwave
    using 12 drops per pound of melted chocolate and use also ritz crackers for dipping. We think they taste much better with more mint. I’ve been making these for about 25 years and every loves them even more than the original.

8. Theresa says:

I doubly agree with Stef’s comment! I make my “fake” thin mints with ritz crackers, melted chocolate chips and peppermint extract, too! Soooo very yummy and so easy! I know the ritz crackers sound a little odd, but believe me, it tastes supper yummy and is definitely worth a try!

9. Jennifer says:

If you just enjoy the taste of Thin Mints, the easiest (and most delicious) recipe I have ever tried is as follows: 1 package of Chocolate Cake Mix, 1/2 cup softened butter, 2 eggs, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup Andes mint pieces. Just mix, spoon them onto a cookie sheet, and voila! They are fantastic, and my kids swear they taste just like thin mints.

10. D Birkes says:

they are inspired by the thin mint girl scout cookies, not an exact duplicate

11. GlameGrame' says:

@ Chris K. THE original recipe had a layer of peppermint cream. Then the makers got cheap and add a couple of drops of peppermint oil to the chocolate. The one with the peppermint cream layer is yummy.

12. Jen says:

You can buy thin mints all year at Dollar General stores for $1 a box. They’re made by the same company that makes the Girl Scout cookies.

13. Tammie says:

I cannot SHARE this on Facebook because the Target ad covers the ENTER button. I’d love to share this article and recipe.

14. Bri says:

@Stef: My mom made those this Chirstmas as well! They are DELICIOUS and do taste EXACTLY like a thin mint. I prefer that recipe over the one given here, and also think it’s much easier and closer to the actual thing.

15. June says:

I just gained 5-lbs listening to y’all (=
    Stef, I’m definitely going to make some of your grandma’s recipe! Thanks!!!

16. sheryl says:

to good not to share

17. Linda Moebius says:

I realize that this all sounds like fun and perhaps will save some money but just think of these poor little girls standing at the entrance to the local supermarket,
    trying to sell their cookies. This site just killed their sales by printing their recipes. Shame on you Family Kitchen. I hope all you mommies and grannies
    have the good sense to forego making Girl Scout Cookies. Juliette Lowe would turn in her grave if she knew the recipes were published!

18. surly and old says:

Never made a cookie in my life. What on earth is a “CANDIQUIK”

19. CB says:

You can just buy Keebler Grasshopper cookies in the store..they’re the same thing and probably cheaper than buying all the ingredients to make the cookies!

20. d.bennett says:

Whoa!!!! thought I was printing a recipie on Shine where it gives you the option to print without Ads and 5-6 pgs of blog. Doubt I’ll be back here!

21. Dana says:

@Linda: I’m all for supporting the girl scouts, but what do we do in October when we don’t have the cookies and have no way of getting them? That’s what these recipes are for!

22. Ingrid Ericsen says:

Re: Linda’s comment about the “poor lil girls” girlscouts.
    As a former girlscout, I say: oh well, too bad and so be it!
    The innocence of yesteryear is gone.
    Today?
    The cookie company that pressures these innocent little girls into grocery parking lots and ringing doorbells of strangers homes, makes the bulk of the money off such FREE child labor!
    The pressure is on for these little girls to SELL SELL SELL! If you don’t believe this, try attending pre-cookie sales scout meetings when such pressure is directly applied. You want to WIN, don’t you? Don’t want to be the ONLY one NOT selling, do you?
    People need to understand what a ripoff AND security risk this practice has become! Probaly why SOME of the moms stand guard nowadays while their naive kids are peddling these overpriced cookins for the cookie manufacturers!
    The company makes at least 3/4 of the proceeds, leaving the poor girl peddlers (girl scouts) with pennies on the dollar to bring back to their troops! In a time when we WISELY warn against ringing doorbells of strangers and soliciting, we need to wake up! I refuse to buy from them anymore. If I want to support the overpriced cookie company, I will… by buying these (less-cookies-in-the-box-while-the-price-of-a-box-jumps-up-each-year!) cookies from them directly! Not happening!
    Instead I do for the girls just as I do for the boy (scouts) with their rip off popcorn.
    I make a donation directly to their scout troop. The days of selling cookies, popcorn, etc for badges, service and fun? They’re over!
    Make these beloved cookies at home and write a check for your local scout troop. This way the troop gets 100% of the funds (not 23% at best!)

THAT is the best and safest way to support something as worthy as scouting!

23. Ravyn says:

I have tried both the original girl scout cookies, as well as the ‘bootleg’ if you will, ritz cracker cookies. The ritz cracker cookies are AMAZING, but not a good as the original itself.! Why add more mint? They taste perfect already.

-Sent from my iPhone4

24. sarah says:

Dollar store thin mints are the exact same as girl scouts and only $1.00…and oh so good!

25. An American says:

The true girl scout cookies are the best you can buy. There is simply no comparison to the originals. Continue to help the girl scouts by purchasing their cookies.

26. Wendy says:

I use a recipe similar to Stefs except…instead of mint extract I use mint chocolate chips. Same result , one step easier !! I make them at various times of the year and use sprinkles according to the holiday to make them festive.Sprinkle while chocolate is still warm and the sprinkles will stick well when chocolate cools !!

27. Irene says:

For those of you who are asking about the buttercream in the middle of the cookie, Thin Mints are not made the way they used to be. When they first came out they had a buttercream center, kind of like the Tagalongs do with peanut butter. It got to be waaaaaaay to expensive to make them at the price they were being sold at (about 50 cents per box) so they changed the recipie.

28. Elizabeth Reid says:

I have no problem buying cookies from Girl Scouts as I was one for YEARS! However when they keep uping the price -that is when I have a problem. Almost $4 per box! Are they crazy? I certainly do appreciate the recipes as my kids like the cookies but I simply cannot afford to buy them!
    THANK YOU FAMILY KITCHEN!!!!

29. Dahleen says:

I do not buy cookies from the girl scouts anymore nor popcorn from the Boy Scouts as I really need to stay away from the junk food, and some people can’t eat them for one thing or another.

I was a Boy Scout leader for 20 years and spent my time out trying to sell these fundraisers. I know how little they actually get from selling so much, it’s a crime to do that to the kids. So now when I do see these groups selling I won’t buy them but I will donate a little money to their unit (I will always ask a Scout to give me the Scout Promise and ask them the Scout law/law of the Pack before handing them the money). So, I would rather give the FULL $4 to the Unit knowing they are getting it all (and knowing I am not going to eat all those extra calories). I learned this from many former Boy Scouts who would come by and say “I use to be one…Here’s $$ for your unit”. It sure went a lot further.

30. bill says:

thin mints “is good”

31. Diane Lavender says:

I am a former “Scout” from waaaay back. I sold cookies when it was safe to go around the neighborhood. Today, we support our granddaughter’s troop and buy the cookies we like. However, as a diabetic, I cannot eat very many. I can still buy them to have on hand, but I can alter these recipes to make them low carb and low sugar. That way, I can enjoy a few now and then. I feel strongly about the scouting experience and try to offer support as often as possible. They learn so much and it will stay with them their entire lives. If you prefer not to buy the cookies, make a donation of money or supplies or time. It is so worth it.

32. tamara says:

jennifer at what temp and for how long do u cook ur cookies for? my gma loves andies mints and i bet shed love ur cookies id like to make them for her

33. tamara says:

linda,
    this is my friends daughters first yr as a girl scout and shes not letting her go door to door not all parents do. keep ur ranting to ur selves this is something these girls are excited about and love to do. and besides with all of r friends buying up all her cookies she will win without standing in the cold. thats what friendship is

34. Amp says:

To: Ingrid Ericsen commented on Jan 20 11 at 9:39 pm

Thank you! As a veteran girl scout, we had to do this overseas in the 80′s, carrying the cases from building to building, each stairwell having four flights. Two stairwells per building, total of 30 buildings. I busted my butt each season, and none of us could beat the girl scout leader’s own daughter. She always won the contest. Then one day while with my father visiting his superior officer, I saw this same girl walk in with her officer father with two of his lackeys carrying four cases each. In a matter of minutes, he had the entire building buying all her cookies, selling up to 9 cases. I quit the scouts when I learned how friggen rigged it was through the leaders and did the math on how little we were getting.

Since then, I refuse to buy the cookies. Having the recipes makes more sense to me. My mother, another veteran girl scout, remembers how they used to make the cookies to sell and had pre-orders in her neighborhood in Wisconsin. Finally, at last, she can I can make them together in the manner they were meant for, to enjoy and make good memories.

Thank you so much for the recipes!

35. Jessica says:

Okay, Girl Scout hear to get one major fact straight. It’s BLUE(Daisies: pre-k and k) and brown (Brownies:grades 1-3) tots, Green(Juniors: grades 4-6) and Dark Blue(Cadets: grades 7-9) Teens (and the Senior totally don’t come to mind- 10-12). I do have to say, that Thin Mints will always be my personal favorites (well and Samoas, but I’m not going to get into that :D ), and An America, you are totally right, there is no comparing to a true Girl Scout yummy cookie ^.^

36. maryann says:

I agree with Dana and Ingrid especially Ingrid. As a former Girl scout Leader I would 100% recommend people writing out a check and donating to a certain troop if you want to specify whose troops it should be credited to…then having any of my girls go out door to door and perhaps taking a horrible chance that at one of those doors is a person that is how to harm your child. I am not being sinical either when I say this. These are DIFFERENT TIMES then years ago when our girls sold cookies to raise money for our camping trip or another outing….so my HATS OFF to the LADIES WITH THE RECIPES make them, enjoy them, and never let another human being shame you into thinking what you are doing is wrong, because it isn’t wrong!! Girl Scouts will do just fine and they do not need to sell COOKIES to reach their goal, my girls and I and my Assistant did everything from shoveling snow to car washes, there were so many ways that we earned our money and each one of the things WE DID WE DID AS A GROUP, not shipping my girls out in a neighborhood and HOPE they came back home?? I don’t think so, NOT TODAY, NOT ANYMORE.
    So bake bake bake those cookies ladies and the ONLY GUILT you should feel is if you ate TOO MANY OF THEM :)

37. Debby says:

Hooray for Ingrid! I’m also a former Girl Scout and find the entire original purpose for selling the cookies to have gone by the wayside long ago!

The Girl Scouts make barely anything and frankly today there are no “poor little girls” doing anything! Their mothers do it all, pressuring and tormenting relatives & co-workers to help their kids cheat on “who sells the most!”

As Ingrid wisely stated, if you care about Girl Scouts, write them a check.

38. Barbara says:

I used to be a girlscout leader, and yes it is sale sale sale, the cookie company gets their share first, then girl scout council takes their share, then our daughter’s troop gets theirs. very little goes to these girls for the work they put in. and the little prizes they dangle in front of them to win is just sad. In all honesty you would help their troop more by donating directly instead of through cookie sales. And I beleive that Juliette Lowe started rolling over in her grave when our girls had to get assitance to by a uniform. Girl scouts used to be a great oppertunity for young girls to bond and learn and still can be if you can get away from the money tree.

39. Cheryl says:

I make some at Christmas every year but it is a timely process I take a box or two of Vanilla Wafers and put them in a bowl with a tight fitting lid then I take two or three cotton balls and put 1-3 drops of Peppermint Oil NOT Peppermint Extract on each cotton ball and put them in the bowl put the tight fitting lid on let sit 1-2 weeks depending on how strong you want them then take chocolate chips or Milk chocolate chips, and melt them in the top of a double boiler with 1/4 of a block of GULF WAX which is food grade parrafin, give the chocolate a nice shine, makes it melt smoothly, and keeps it from melting at room temperature. Now if only I could find Chocolate wafers around here they would be perfect. These are also good with Butterscotch Chips or Peanut Butter Chips.

40. maureen says:

i have a easy recipe for thin mints and they r just like girl scout thin mints but a box of ritz crackers and 2 bags of wilton mint melting chocolate > melt the chocolate and dip the crackers in it! thats it!

41. Natalie says:

I agree with ingrid and all the others when it comes to girl and boy scouts. We have our daughter in a different organization local to our area specifically because I couldn’t take the girl scouts any more.I was sick of being pressured into selling those cookies and then still being asked repeatedly to donate myself because our troop had no money. I finally drew the line when our leader had a make-up party for a bunch of 7 year olds. My daughter wanted to learn to camp, not how to put on make up and become a corporate sales associate. We get dollar store versions but now that i know they come from the same company, I probably won’t buy those any more either!

42. Donna says:

I used to be a leader for Girl Scouts. The girls don’t make very much on the box. When they were 3.50/box each box earned .50 for the girl or troop, depending on how the leader organized the money. I completely agree that the cookie company makes the bulk of the profits. It always baffled me why the girls would have to sell in January, in the dead of winter in a lot of the country. Also, the girls are really schooled on selling techniques. They are not supposed to go out alone. They are not supposed to go to homes of people they do not know. Girl Scouts USA does stress safety! I agree with just making a troop donation , in lieu of over priced cookies. However, there are even rules from Girl Scouts about that. If you find the loophole you could save yourself a lot of extra calories and bless the girl scout at your door.

43. Tracy says:

I love girl scout cookies and am looking forward to trying this recipe, but I had to weigh in on the comments. While I agree with the comments of Girl Scout cookies being a rip off and only giving a small amount back to the scout, I have to disagree with the poster that lumped to boy scout popcorn in with them. As a current leader I know that over 70% of the sales go directly back to local scouting. BSA also give great practical prizes to those who sell. They get gift cards to stores to buys anything they would like and are encouraged to get camping gear and useful tools they will need in life and scouting. They also have a scholarship program in reward of sales. Once a scout sells X amount they get 10% of their popcorn sales for the rest of the time they are in scouting deposited into a college fund. My own son received $190 in giftcards and $150 in a scholarship. Sure beats the little trinkets and t-shirts I remember getting in girl scouts.

44. Valerie says:

I was a Girl Scout leader for about ten years. I never did understand why we all tried so hard to sell the Girl Scout cookies. Other than the fact that the girls’ parents had to be responsible enough to pay their money on time.(Which one of the parents did not and the whole troop suffered) Did you know for every $3.75 box of cookies the girls( parents) sold, the troop only got .50 cents!?!. So if you were to donate just $4.00 to the troop it would be like buying 8 boxes of cookies. Make a check out to the troop number to be sure it goes to the right hands. So please don’t hesitate to donate. Bake those cookies yourself and do the girls a real favor by not buying cookies!!

45. Karen says:

Jennifer, I also want to know how to bake your cookies. Thanks!!

46. Jayne says:

I have another thin mint recipe that you may enjoy similar to one above except you do not use mint extract. It is so easy and so delicious. Use Ritz Crackers. Melt Andes Mint Candies 1 box in micro wave carefully not to over heat and burn chocolate. Dip the crackers. Let cool. Then re- dip the Crackers again in Milk Chocolate melted. Let cool and enjoy. These are amazing and very pretty because they have been dipped twice. The combination of dark choc. of Andes Candies with milk choc. gives them a very smiliar flavor to the girl scout cookie.

47. Tiff says:

To add to Stef’s post, you can also use Andes mints in the double boiler to get the chocolate to mint ratio perfect and use honey-butter ritz crakers. They come out tasting just like the real thing. Get a box of thin mints and compare it and you will be quite surprised at the lack of difference in taste between the two.

48. Kathryn says:

I graduated last year, but still continue to be active in my Girl Scout troop, as an adult now. When I was younger, in Brownies and Juniors, selling cookies was fun. I got to meet people in my community at booth sales, we got cool prizes for selling, and the money was enough to fund the simple crafts we did every other week at meetings. But when I became a Cadette, I joined a combined Cadette-Senior troop, that did a lot of camping, and had plans to attend an international Scouting jamboree in Sweden during the summer of my senior year in high school. My troop had a group of 8 girls and 3 adults that were planning on attending, and with some intense budgeting decisions, we were sure that we could pull off a three week visit at a relatively cheap price per person at around $1200, including airfare. We brainstormed all kinds of fundraisers to get us there from bake sales to carwashes and babysitting, but were informed by the higher-ups in Girl Scouts that we wouldn’t be allowed to have any other fundraisers if our troop didn’t participate in cookie sales. There was one problem with this: it’s easy for younger scouts to sell cookies because they’re cute, and people find it hard to resist their smiling faces. But when a group of 15-17 year olds stand at a booth beause they’ve been forced into it, the cute-ness quickly fades. The small percentage of money we earned from all the hours logged at cookie booths, with few actual sales, didn’t go very far either. Don’t worry that trying these recipes will detract from the scouts, because cookie sales don’t actually let us earn much money anyway. The best way to support us, if you’re so inclined, is to make a direct contribution, at least for the older, more active troops. As for Juliette Gordon-Lowe turning in her grave at the thought of homemade Girl Scout cookies: in the early days of Girl Scouting, troops baked cookies together and packaged them to sell door to door to fund troop activities. It also taught them valuable skills such as baking, sales, and marketing. If anything I think Juliette would welcome the return to the learning of skills for self-sufficiency that Girl Scouting is supposed to be about.

49. Glo says:

I was a girl scout 50 years ago and believe me, the boxes of cookies were twice the size they are today and only 50 CENTS – (yep that’s right) a box. And for all those regarding the MINT COOKIES – They NEVER had a layer of white cream in them. These cookies were always all chocolate and mint!!
    As a girl scout – you walked door to door selling your cookies – not that I would have any kids do that today – unfortunately.

50. LoisLane says:

These sound good but if I’m not mistaken you can buy chocolate/mint chips. I know I’ve seen them for sale around Christmas time but not sure if they are readily available. I would use those to coat the wafer layer and then you wouldn’t need the filling. I haven’t made these…. but I might try them if I can find the chips. I’m too picky about my thin mints… I’ll eat the grasshopers but they aren’t the same.

51. Joanna says:

no more cookie pushers here…..
    it was during the start of a blizzard – children were sent home almost immediately after they arrived…. I taught dance and had canceled classes for the day and evening….
    in the afternoon I received a phone call from the troop leader that the semi truck full of cookies had arrived at the church parking lot – and I ‘had’ to come and pick up my ‘share’ of the cookies… (I had not so much as offered to do anything of the sort) ….
    when I told her that I would not leave the house under blizzard conditions and drive down a half-mile steep hill to get to the church with the possibility of not being able to get back up the hill….
    she repeated that ‘I HAD TO PICK UP THE COOKIES IMMEDIATELY’ ….
    I once again told her that I was not leaving the house under any circumstances…she continued to yell at me….
    at which point I decided that I was not an employee of the Girl Scouts – and I hung up on her…. thus ended out daughter’s career in the scouts….

52. Lil says:

I think these are best:

Nilla Wafers
    Andes mint chocolate

Melt chopped Andes and dip the Nilla wafer………

the cheapest and easiest way to make thin mints :)

53. Karen says:

I remember when cookies were 25 cents a box. The year they went up to 50 cents (I think it was 1963) people cut back and bought fewer boxes. I have to laugh now, when I am paying $4.00 a box for less than 1/2 of what you used to get for 50 cents.

54. Rick and Mattie says:

forget vegetables–girl scout cookies here I come!

55. Rita says:

I to remember selling cookies for 25 cents back in the 50′s. Our troup made enough money for a trip to New York City. Couldn’t do that now. I still purchase cookies every year regardless. Did anyone realize you can designate your cookies be donated to a Food Pantry? This is what I do when buying from my niece who lives out of state.

56. Moosen says:

I love Thin Mints, but they are sooooo pricey! I making these and writing a check to the Girl Scout troops instead!

57. Capability says:

Thin Mints are my favorite – My motto: A serving size is a sleeve! I am definitely going to make these – right after I try the homemade pop tarts from Whisk Kid!

58. rachael says:

girl scouts give money to planned parenthood to kill babies. why would i buy there death cookies?

59. Linds says:

NOT FOR PUBLICATION: I hit the print button and got 14 pages! I just wanted the recipe, not all the comments. Can you please fix that? It’s a waste of paper and trees.

60. Liz C says:

I’m still looking for, and have thought for years about making, the thin mints I sold as a Girl Scout in the ’70′s. The cookies were white and peppermint-flavored, not chocolate with the mint in the coating–I’m sure of it. (I used to dissect everything as I ate it, and taste each part separately.) Hey, if I’m wrong, so what? Just saying what I remember. The cookie was crisp, not flaky, like the GS cookies are now. Oh, and I heard it from a troop leader that the girls only get 75 cents a box profit. The moms (and dads and others) have to pick them up, sort them, and set up with the children to sell them. Sounds like someone, not the troop, is making a lot of money. It costs the GS families a lot of time and gas money (not to mention eating on the road sometimes) to profit someone. They should get A LOT more profit per box!

61. Sue says:

I was a long-time Girl Scout and then a leader although I have no children. I sold hundreds of boxes of G.S. cookies to get a scholarship to camp (campership). I got out when G.S. started supporting abortiion, immoral gender issues, tryin to remove the God of the Bible from the organization, etc. I rememer Thin Mints with the creamy white layer. There have for years been different bakeries that contract to make G.S. cookies so maybe that is why there are different memories. A Girl Scout organization alternative: American Heritage Girls.

62. Carol says:

I sold GS cookies in 1969 and there wasn’t a peppermint layer then. I know, because I licked all the chocolate off. Was the layer before that year? Just curious.

63. Carol K says:

The Boy Scouts take the donations and turn them into popcorn orders for the troops overseas. At least some of the troops do. Increasing their sales gives the troop some kind of status. I agree that their popcorn is wayyyyyy overpriced. And it is lousy.