There are a lot of fun beauty trends and treats that women love to play around with, and many of us are guilty of collecting eye shadows/nail polishes/lip glosses like a hobby.
But what are the makeup bag essentials that all women should have on hand? The basics?
Forget the shimmer and the sparkle — here are the 10 beauty product staples that you should own:
1. Moisturizer with SPF – Rain or shine, winter or summer, women should be wearing an SPF of some capacity. And moisturizer is the easiest way to do this.
2. Moisturizer with Retinol – Dermatologists overwhelmingly agree that retinol is a key component of an anti-aging regiment, which also evens out discoloration, smoothes skin, and clears up imperfections. And there are plenty of over-the-counter products with retinol that get the job done — no heavy-duty prescription required. If not retinol, look for ingredients like peptides and antioxidants.
Retinol, a derivative of vitamin A, is extra sensitive to sunlight, causing it to break down and be less effective. It’s best to use a retinol-based cream at night.
3. All-purpose body moisturizer – No need to buy four different specialty moisturizers — just one good all-over lotion.
4. Good concealer -It can take a bit of trial and error to find the right one, but it’s a worthwhile pursuit — especially as we get older.
5. Pretty pick-me-up lipstick for any occasion – Every woman should have that one shade of lipstick that perks her up and adds some sex appeal. A nude and a gloss are pretty essential as well, but we should all have one bold color in our bag.
6. Mascara – A top-of-the-chart must have. No question about it. And don’t settle for the one that leaves clumpy tarantula legs dangling from your eyes.
7. Cheek color – Whether you prefer a creamy rose, a translucent stain, or a bronzy powder, the right cheek color will instantly brighten your complexion.
8. Dry shampoo – I’m willing to say that dry shampoo is an essential for any woman, but especially for time-crunched moms. If you haven’t used dry shampoo yet (I love the one from Oscar Blandi, above), it will change your life.
9. Eyelash curler – A time-tested classic that instantly brightens and lifts tired eyes — complimented with a good mascara, of course.
10. A signature scent – Every woman should have a scent that is her own. It might change throughout time — with your mood, even — but there should be something in your bathroom that smells uniquely you.
What are your must-have beauty products?
MORE ON BABBLE