Sunscreen wipes are one of my very favorite discoveries, considering a year ago my toddler would not sit still long enough to apply (and re-apply) thick, creamy sunscreen. Not when there was a playground to be played at. Not a chance. And while I’ve told you about the previous sunscreen wipes that I used to use, I found a safer, cheaper alternative: Supergoop!
I check all of my baby products on the Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep Cosmetic Database, and sunscreen is one of the biggest hot-button baby products, with Babble’s own Science of Kids writer reporting that most sunscreens contain potentially harmful chemicals.
On a scale of 0 – 10 (0 being the safest, 10 the least), Doctor T’s Supergoop! Sunscreen Wipes for Sensitive Skin, SPF 30, rates a 2 — labeled a “low hazard” sunscreen. (Doctor T’s Supergoop! Quickstick, SPF 30, is rated as a 1!) No baby sunscreen in the EWG database is rated as a 0. The previous sunscreen wipes I used are rated as a 4, a “moderate” hazard, although it has slightly better UVA protection than the Supergoop.
So if you’re looking for a safe, effective sunscreen wipe, I definitely recommend the Doctor T Supergoop, which sells for $25.99 for 40 wipes. Other than sunscreen wipes, these are the 10 safest baby sunscreens in the EWG database:
1. Adorable Baby (by Loving Naturals) Clear Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+ (rated: 1)
2. Badger Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+ (rated: 1)
3. California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+ (rated: 1)
4. Goddess Garden Baby All-Natural Sunscreen SPF 30+ (rated: 1)
5. thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 30+ (rated: 1)
6. UV Natural Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30+ (rated: 1)
7. BabyGanics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen for Face & Body, Fragrance Free, SPF 50+ (rated: 2)
8. BabyGanics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen Stick, Fragrance Free, SPF 50 (rated: 2)
9. Johnson & Johnson Baby Sunscreen SPF 40 (rated: 1)
10. California Baby Everyday/Year-Round Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+ (rated: 2)
Keep in mind that these are sunscreens specifically designed for babies, so there are also safe adult/kid/baby sunscreens, like Doctor T’s Supergoop!, in the EWG database.
Also check out: