I have a shoe problem — and I don’t mean that I have too many (never!), just nowhere to put them. Yet these 16 creative shoe storage ideas have sparked some serious inspiration:
15. Boxes + Labels 1 of 16You know that classic idea of putting polaroids on shoe boxes? Here's an even better version: Take photos of little embellishments (a bow, a buckle, a colored heel) and attach them to brown paper labels.
See where to buy at Livingetc.com.
14. Backlit Shelving Unit 2 of 16This custom-built unit with backlighting is a fashionista's dream.
See more photos at SWITCHEROOm.
13. Shelving 3 of 16Create a store-like display with simple shelving.
See more at "5 inch and up."
12. Creative Solutions 4 of 16Short on closet space? Get creative.
See a shoe rack made from pipes at Apartment Therapy.
11. Outdoor Boot Rack 5 of 16A brilliant idea for muddy boots, this Wellie Holder is available in the UK for â‚¬37 + shipping. (Yet it seems simple enough to make yourself.)
Buy (and inquire about international shipping) at Wellyracks.com.
10. DIY Boot Rack 6 of 16The perfect addition to the mud room.
See more of this Revolutionary-era house at Country Living.
9. Antique Furniture 7 of 16This photo, spotted in the Oprah magazine, is what sparked my shoe storage search. (By the way, this woman is the merchandising manager of Gilt Groupe, which would explain why everything about her is covet-worthy.)
See more about this shoe storage idea at Oprah.com.
8. Wall-Mounted Shelves 8 of 16A sleek, streamlined way to store shoes.
Photo: Mark Lund via This is Glamorous.
7. Clear Boxes 9 of 16A neat, functional solution: clear boxes at eye level.
See even more fun organizing tips at Better Homes & Gardens.
5. Old Crates 10 of 16An easy idea to add more storage, especially for the family's shoes.
See more at Decor Hacks.
6. Sarah Storage Tower 11 of 16This entire unit will cost almost $2,000 (yikes!), but you can buy individual pieces for $600 each.
Buy from Ballard Designs
4. Molding 12 of 16This idea is similar to the main photo at the top of the page, except this yellow version uses painted chair molding while the top photo uses picture-rail molding. Both are pretty genius.
Photo: Livingetc.com via Deliciously Organized.
2. DIY Flip-Flop Holders 13 of 16A simple, clever DIY solution.
See a step-by-step tutorial at EPBOT.
3. Shoe Rack 14 of 16This wall-mounted 3-pair shoe rack will be available soon from Charlotte Tangye Design.
Check it out at CharlotteTangye.co.uk.
1. China Cabinet 15 of 16Think you have nothing to display in that old piece of furniture? Think again.
Photo: This is Glamorous via Houzz.
16. Shoe Ladder 16 of 16Not only is this shoe ladder a clever vertical storage solution, but a functional work of art.
Buy one at Pottery Barn for $129.
The first image, the Picture-Rail Shoe Rack, can be found at Martha Stewart.
Which is your favorite?
Store your toys, clothes and more: Top 11 Cheap Storage Solutions!