Children: François (6 ½ ) and Johan (4 ½ )
It’s no great surprise to anyone who knows miss that I never miss an episode of The Real Housewives of New York City. You can keep Atlanta, New Jersey and even Orange Country, but woe to anyone who tries to stand in the way of my Housewives NYC DVR.
What may surprise everyone, however, is that my new favorite cast members are Alex McCord any Simon van Kempen. What with Alex letting it rip this season and Simon being so Simon, it’s nice to see this Brooklyn couple coming into their own and finding their voice. And they’ve got a funny new parenting book that just came out titled Little Kids, Big City. It’s filled with hysterical chapters titles like “Does a German Shepherd Need a Birth Plan?” and “The Screaming Kid on the Plane is NOT mine! (This Time)?” and a down-to-earth attitude that is sometimes missing in this day and age of hyper parenting.
So in honor of Father’s Day, I had to interview the couple to get the scoop on their favorite kids gear, style and parenting tips.
1. What’s the best thing about being a mom and dad?
Simon: Learning wonderment again; going back in time and seeing the world through the eyes of a 1, 2, 3, then 4 year old and so on. Alex: The overwhelming love I feel for the boys, for Simon, for life in general. Having kids keeps cynicism at bay and keeps you young!
2. What’s the most shocking/surprising thing about being a mom/dad?
Simon: Sometimes I hear my Mother speaking when I speak to the boys, particularly if I am scolding them. Alex: For me the most surprising thing was that I didn’t feel more grownup or more capable or like a different person. I’m still the same person I was at 17 and 25 and 30, just now with kids. That was both incredibly liberating and surprising.
3. What is your favorite baby ride? Bugaboo Frog; we bought one in 2003 and still have it we replaced all the parts eventually but never bought another one!
4. What gift did you bring for Bethenny’s baby shower? A beautiful little dress and booties by Petit Confection as well as a basket of practical stuff like wipes, bottles and soap.
Click through for more of Alex and Simon’s favorites gear and exclusive family album…
5. What is your favorite nursery/kid’s room decor item? With two rough and tumble boys, we swear by the multicolored foam floor tiles that are easily replaced when stained and pad the floor when boys bounce off them!
6. Give us some tips for renovating a home with kids: Always have a GREEN zone where the kids can play, and keep their favorite items within easy reach. Remind them that when the work is over, they can fall in love with stuff that was packed away all over again.
7. What is your fave kids clothing line? Small Paul by Paul Frank, Petit Bateau (especially for coats) and Pura Vida. H&M for jeans; there’s no sense buying expensive jeans when boys tear holes in them at the speed of light!
8. What are your kids’ favorite toys? Well, we just asked Johan what his favorite toy was, and he said “Your iPhone.” François is partial to his night-vision goggles and toy AMP robot suit from the movie Avatar.
>>For more juicy gossip and the reality behind the reality of Alex McCord and other Housewives, click here.
>>To read the full interview, visit Mamaista.com for more talk with Alex and Simon.
Photos: Petit Confection, Small Paul, Petit Bateau