See that above closet? That’s like a scrapbookers dream — but it’s not necessary if you’re just starting out. Scrapbooking supplies can get expensive, so it’s better to start with the basics and expand as you get more involved.
If you’re thinking about starting a scrapbook for your baby, here are 10 supplies to start with:
1. A Good Printer 1 of 10I'm OBSESSED with this Canon PIXMA MG8120 printer. Obsessed. The quality is better than any printer I've ever had, and the features are off the charts (wireless, touch screen, the ability to print straight from my iPhone or digital camera, double-sided printing, scanner, etc.). I'd highly recommend this to anyone printing photos.
Buy from Amazon, $299.
2. Good Photo Paper 2 of 10I prefer matte photo paper, personally, but Canon has beautiful glossy photo paper as well.
Buy the Canon Scrapbooking Bundle, $27.08
3. …Or a Good Photo Site 3 of 10If you don't have the budget for a brand new printer, find a quality photo printing site. I really like Picaboo.com.
Starting at $0.15.
4. Acid-Free Scrapbook Paper 4 of 10You can go to your local craft store and stock up on scrapbook paper, or you could print digital scrapbook pages from Etsy, which is a more economical and creative route. Just make sure you're printing on quality acid-free paper.
Buy from Perfect Printables, $6
5. Quality Adhesives 5 of 10Not all glue is created equal. For heavy paper and embellishments, I really love these Memory Book Glue Dots.
Buy from Amazon or find in your local craft store.
6. Basic Tools 6 of 10A ruler, sharp straight-edge scissors (and maybe some shaped scissors if you're feeling fancy), and a paper cutter are good basics to start with.
7. Embellishments 7 of 10Again, you can go to your local craft store and find walls filled with embellishments (from stickers to paper cutouts), or you can search for digital embellishments on Etsy. Then you can print out as many as you'd like.
Perfect Printables, $4.
8. Milestones/Mementos 8 of 10Keep important milestones in mind for scrapbook pages (first smile, first solid food, first steps, etc.) and save every memento you can — starting with the ultrasound photos.
9. Acid-Free Markers/Pens 9 of 10The Zig ColorTwin Marker Set is acid-free, photo safe, waterproof, fade-proof, and archival quality.
Buy from JoAnn Fabrics, $79.99.
10. Storage 10 of 10Trust me, you'll want to keep your photos, tools, and embellishments neat and organized. This Cropper Hopper Photo Supply Case is only $19.79.
Buy from JoAnn Fabrics
Also check out: 10 things NOT to do when starting a baby scrapbook.
Many thanks to Canon for sponsoring this post and for providing me with a brand new shiny PIXMA printer to play with.
[Main photo: Better Homes & Gardens]