Sargent Shriver: 10 Great Quotes from a Great ManLaura Mayes
Robert “Sargent” Shriver, creator of the Peace Corps, father of Maria Shriver, and member of the legendary Kennedy family, died of complications from Alzheimer’s Disease at 95. He was a great man and his words are legendary. Here are 10 of our favorite quotes of his.
Keep reading to be inspired by 10 of Sargent Shriver’s great quotes….
1. It is well to be prepared for life as it is, but it is better to be prepared to make life better than it is.
2. Just to travel is rather boring, but to travel with a purpose is educational and exciting.
3. One of the things Mr. Kennedy taught me was that in laying out a new project, you shouldn’t try to cope with every little problem.
4. The only genuine elite is the elite of those men and women who gave their lives to justice and charity.
5. The Peace Corps is guilty of enthusiasm and a crusading spirit. But we’re not apologetic about it.
6. There is an alternative to war. It has been with us forever.
7. We must treat the disease of racism. This means we must understand the disease.
8. Being accused of enthusiasm is something I’ll never live down.
9. Do the job first. Worry about the clearance later.
10. Christian virtues unite men. Racism separates them.