Un-Romantic Valentines Day: Do it for the Man You LoveJaime Morrison Curtis
Throw your guy an Un-Romantic Valentines Day and fall in love all over again!
My hubs and I started this tradition eight years ago, after he made it clear he thought it was a little unfair that men are expected to wow us ladies on Valentines Day AND anniversaries, while we all just sit back and wait to be showered with romance of a sort men don’t usually enjoy that much. I thought that was pretty reasonable, so we made a deal: On our anniversary he would plan something special for the two of us, and in exchange I would take on Valentines Day and plan something HE would think was fun. Turns out, Valentines Day is his favorite holiday!
The whole point of the day is to plan something you would not ordinarily want to do, something ridiculously manly and out of your comfort zone. Then smile the whole time and act like you love it. And buy him a treat you don’t approve of, like beef jerky sticks or an axe, but more on that in this post: Top Ten Un-Romantic Valentine’s Gifts for Men.
Take a look at some Un-Romantic Valentines Day suggestions after the jump, and don’t forget to share yours in the comments…
A few things we’ve done on Un-Romantic Valentines Days past:
2. Shooting Range: Head to your local indoor or outdoor shooting range, or maybe an archery spot. Rent some equipment and have a blast. HA, puns are super un-romantic too.
3. Poker: Host a game for the guys or take him to the casino.
5. Go Kart racing: This was one of my husband’s favorite Un-Romantic Valentines Day activities.
6. Flying Lessons: Fear is really unromantic!
7. Panning for gold. Or spelunking. Almost anything with a cave or an old west theme is good.
8. Zipline Tour: This one in Catalina is what we are doing this year.
9. Comedy Show: Seeing Kat Williams on Valentines Day was the least romantic date we ever went on.
10. Anything with Dirt Bikes: Rent some ATVs and hit your local san dunes.
11. Snowmobiling: Maybe makes more sense in your neck of the woods this time of year?
12: No babysitter? No worries: Rent Predator. I was going to say to just watch a manly movie, but really, just rent Predator and make some bacon jam and call it a night.
Got any suggestions? Think you might try it? Learn more about our tradition of Un-Romantic Valentine’s Day here.