5 Simple and Fun Ways to Teach Your Kids to Give BackLori Garcia
With the holidays swiftly approaching, we’re reminded of the value of gratitude and the importance of giving.
In this age of mass consumerism, teaching our kids the principles of gratitude and charity are more important than ever. As we celebrate togetherness in this season of hope, let us include our children in the joy that comes from giving.
Teaching our children to give back is easier than you might think. Take a look at these 5 simple ways to inspire a giving spirit in your kids – after the jump!
1. Give by example: Kids learn what they see. Serve as a positive example of giving for your children. Whether you donate unwanted items to people in need or choose to volunteer your efforts, you’ll give your children the opportunity to witness the power of your time and generosity.
2. Utilize your kids’ interests: If your child loves animals, consider ways to get involved in animal shelter or charitable cause for animals. If your child is a social butterfly, think about ways they can offer companionship to children in need of a friend. A child who loves to read might enjoy reading to patients at a children’s hospital. Getting involved doesn’t have to feel like a chore for your child!
3. Collect smiles: Think about the people your child interfaces with regularly – a teacher, a neighbor, maybe a piano teacher or coach. Brainstorm with your child about fun ways to bring a smile to their faces. Whether you choose to bake that special someone an unexpected treat, or draw a picture, giving to our everyday heroes feels good.
4. Friendship for a cause: Gather your child’s friends and parents to discuss ways you can work as a team to assist your local community! Your community spirit and enthusiasm for giving has the power to become contagious.
5. Make giving a tradition: Family traditions last for generations and what better new tradition than giving? Choose a cause dear to your family’s heart and take pleasure in knowing a tradition of giving reinforces a familial spirit of philanthropy and kindness.
How do you teach your kids to give back?
Get your daily dose of Mommyfriend here where nothing is sacred.
More on Kid Scoop: