It’s birthday season in our house — my son just celebrated his 7th birthday and my daughters are about to have their birthday’s next month.
This time of year is always pretty chaotic, especially coming off the Christmas holidays and still trying to get the house back in order from the new items, books and toys the kids were lucky to receive this year.
Withe their birthday so close, the idea of giving them even more new toys just seems like way too much. When you host a birthday party for your child, traditionally each invited member brings a small gift for your kid and depending on the size of your party — that can amount to a lot of new toys.
As I plan the parties for my girls this year, I am debating going a different route than the traditional gift-giving ideas — to have the focus be more on giving than receiving; even for the birthday girl.
Check out these alternatives to traditional gift-giving birthday parties:
Photo credits: iStockPhoto
More on Babble:
- 12 Ecards That Accurately Describe What It’s Like to Parent
- 7 Reasons Why Kids and Winter Don’t (or Shouldn’t) Mix
- 15 Ways to Connect With Your Child When You Have 15 Minutes
- 10 Small Things That Make My Kids Really Angry
- 20 Parents Share the Creative Excuses Their Kids Give to Get Out of Going to Bed