Easy, Family Friendly Shore Excursion OptionsCasey Mullins
Not entirely sure where you want to go on a cruise? Sometimes it helps to start with what you actually want to do when you’re off the ship. Norwegian Cruise Line helps you narrow your choices down based on what you most want to do, what you’re capable of doing, how much you want to spend and who you want to do it with. I searched easy family shore excursions and 200 results came back. Tours were generally the least expensive (under $50/person) while a helicopter tour over a volcano came in at just over $400/person. We decided on the Western Caribbean and will be picking and choosing a few shore excursions before we leave, and maybe as we begin to cruise more in our golden years or with our kids we’ll start booking cruises based off what we want to do on shore.
Right now the Alaskan cruises are looking pretty good for some great sightseeing and cultural experiences (Cody’s parents are currently on an Alaskan cruise, deep sea fishing and whale watching are on their itinerary.)
Curious what other kind of easy shore excursions are available for families? Check out some of the options available below!
- Ride a glass bottom boat in Bermuda, Hawaii or Key West – This one is not for me, as the idea of a glass bottom boat gives me anxiety, but it would be a fantastic way to show kids what’s just under the surface without ever getting wet.
- Tour the Everglades in an airboat. – I’ve heard that you can never be sure what you’ll see in the Everglades, that every moment of everyday is a new adventure. I know my husband has “see a real alligator” on his life list and I’m pretty sure this would be the excursion for him.
- Attend a salmon bake, whale watching or crab fishing in Alaska – We’re loyal viewers of “Deadliest Catch”, we’d love the chance to see a crab boat from the show up close and personal, and the salmon bake? SIGN US ALL UP.
- Have a dolphin encounter in Honduras, Bahamas or Puerto Vallarta – I’m pretty sure every kid at one time or another dreams of swimming with dolphins.
- Attend a luau, take a helicopter tour of a volcano or ride in a submarine in Hawaii – If you’ve never been to a luau? The food. GO FOR THE FOOD. (I’ll pass on the submarine though.)
- Tour the city from a horse drawn trolley in Halifax. – Well this just sounds quaint doesn’t it? And way cooler than taking a horse drawn carriage in your own home town.
- Sail through the canopy in a rainforest aerial tram ride in St. Lucia. – You may not be able to get me in a glass bottom boat but I’ll for sure get in a little basket high up in the trees!
- Attend a ballet in Russia – Uh, hello life list check off item.
- Go to an Orlando theme park. – Kids wanted to go to Universal Studios, Disneyworld or SeaWorld? On a cruise you can do both!
- Please your inner space nerd at Kennedy Space Center. – I’m not sure if there’s a grownup or kid alive that would pass up the chance to see a real live space ship.
- Take private or chartered tours of Stockholm, Estonia, Yukon Territory, Boston Halifax, Juneau or more. Includes museums, historical sites, city centers and countryside. – Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back and let someone else take care of all the driving and navigating while you just take in the sights
What would you be most interested in when it comes to shore excursions?
Image Credit: Rainforest Adventure