Kids Fitness | Fun Kids Activities | Guide to Kids FitnessMissy Chase Lapine and Larysa DiDio
Kids Fitness Activity
Just Bag It
by Missy Chase Lapine and Larysa DiDio
January 11, 2010
Larysa’s son Nicholas loves to be in charge of bagging the groceries, especially at the self-checkout machine, since it makes him feel very grown up.
What you’ll need
- The items on your grocery list.
- Grade-Schoolers, Tweens
- 1 or more
- Any Day
- He’ll burn 23 calories every 20 minutes.
- Put your child in charge of the grocery bags, from bagging and weighing the produce to putting the groceries on the checkout belt to loading the groceries in and out of the car.
- Hand him different items, like one pound of apples and an 8-oz. can, and ask him to tell you which is heavier.
- Keep a close eye on your helper when in the parking lot while he’s loading the groceries into the car.
- According to the EPA, 500 billion to one trillion plastic bags are used every year and pollute our earth. Use reusable bags instead!
Excerpted from the book Sneaky Fitness: Fun, Foolproof Ways to Slip Fitness into Your Child’s Everyday Life by Missy Chase Lapine and Larysa DiDio. Excerpted by arrangement with Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2009.
More Activities From Sneaky Fitness.
12 Ways to Find Work Out Time: How to balance a fitness routine and a baby.
Easy, Healthy Oatmeal Recipe – and more healthy recipes for kids on Nibblers.
- Winter Activities for Kids: How to entertain when the playground is frozen.