My 5-Year-Old's Life ListLori Garcia
I’ve been toying around with the idea of creating a life list on Go Mighty for a few reasons. One, my dear friend is the managing editor there and she told me I should. Two, I have another pesky birthday coming up which always does weird “what have I done with my life” stuff to me. Three, I’ve been standing in the same place for far too long. You know, figuratively.
In discussing what my personal life list might include, my kids began thinking about their own life lists. Oh my God, how much do I love that? These are kids with their whole lives ahead of them. Just imagine if they actually started living in pursuit of their personal goals now! Total maternal goose pimples.
Today BooBoo pulled me aside, pencil and paper in hand, and asked me to help him compose his first life list. After careful consideration and the intentional dismissal of logic, a fearless life list was born.
BooBoo’s Life List
- Find a diamond in the desert.
- Have three dogs named George, Rexy, and Reggy (not Reggie).
- Watch Lord of the Rings – the whole thing – without getting scared.
- Marry a girl with yellow hair and a smiley face.
- Become a really good guy that takes really good pictures.
- Stay up past 8:30pm.
- Flip on a bike like BMX people do.
- Discover a dinosaur bone or tooth.
- Eat more pancakes.
- Be someone with lots of friends that I can’t remember all their names.
- Go camping in a tent, but not in my backyard.
- Invent a dinosaur robot that breathes fire because people want that.
- Ride a shark.
- Make a masterpiece.
- Turn on a fire hydrant.
Whether BooBoo’s life goals last forever or even into tomorrow remains to be seen. But as of today, as of this moment, all 15 items are attainable in my son’s eyes. Fear, reservation, and doubt pushed aside in pursuit of unabashed possibility.
Wow. I don’t know when I began suppressing the wonder of possibility on my way to adulthood, but maybe daring to dream belongs at the top of my list.
Have you ever made a life list?
More Mommyfriend on Babble: