Readers Respond: The Best Advice I Have for a Happy & Healthy Marriage is...Devan McGuinness
I have been married now for going on 8 years. We met in high school, dated and lived together through college. Got married after college and then began expanding our family. We have been together for going on 13 years (man, that makes me feel old!) and I have learned a lot about myself, my partner and just how much work a marriage can be.
Even if you are madly in love, respect each other and communicate it takes time and effort to keep it happy and healthy. Just like any relationship – marriage is no different. Babble.com wrote a post giving 9 tips to spice up your marriage and then we asked you, the readers, what the best advice you have to keep your marriage healthy and happy. You had some great advice!
Click through to see the advice Babble readers have for a happy & healthy marriage:
1. “I always tell people to fight naked. It’s hard to stay mad at someone you generally enjoy when they’re standing in front of you naked. You tend to stick with only the fights that really need fighting.” – Meridith
2. “Always talk to one other” – Bobby
3. “Never go to bed angry with each other and always get a kiss before [you] leave or go to bed” – Ashley
4. “Make time to build the partnership!” – Mardena
5. “The 4 c’s. Communication. Commitment. Compromise. Cuddles.” – Amanda
6. “The best advice I’ve heard from my married friends and even my parents and step-parents is to always create time for you and you spouse, or maybe even just time for yourself.” – Kristie
7. “Always compromise and work together.” – Carolynn
8. “Decide how you want your life to be BEFORE you get married and then don’t settle for someone who wants different things in life.” – Jen
9. “Separate blankets. Also if possible separate bathrooms. Simple but effective.” – Johanna
10. “Listen. Really listen. And be advocates for each other.” – Jennifer
11. “Never hesitate to let each other know how you feel about something.” – Laura
12. “Do not cheat.” – Cynthia
13. “Saturday night babysitter!!” – Debra
14. “Never get married!!” – Annette
15. “FIVE C’s! don’t forget coitus” – Ingrid
Tell me – what is the best advice you have for a happy & healthy marriage?
Get the latest updates from Kid Scoop – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Kid Scoop:
7 Things Parents Say That Bring Out the Drama and Make Me Cringe
Readers Respond: One Thing I Refuse to Feel Guilty About as a Parent is …
8 Things My Kids Say to Me That Bring Out the Drama and Make Me Cringe
photo credit: photostock via FreeDigitalPhotos