We're Going To Do WHAT When We Grow Up?Meghan Gesswein
So, it finally happened the other day. The boys and I had an uncomfortable talk. I guess I knew it would happen eventually, but I certainly didn’t expect that it would happen on a Monday afternoon on the drive home from preschool pickup.
While I’d imagined this discussion in my head, I didn’t really have a script, so I found myself rambling on and on. They were completely shocked at what I was telling them, and, as can be expected, they were also full of questions.
I’m hopeful that I didn’t scar them for life, but I’m pretty sure that some of my explanations may have been a bit confusing and scary for them.
My part of the conversation sounded something like this:
- I know it seems weird and scary now, but everyone does it eventually.
- Don’t worry, you have a few years until it’s something you have to think about.
- Mommy was 18 and Daddy waited until he was 24!
- I promise you, that when your time comes, you’ll enjoy it.
- You’ll be ready for it and even excited about it!
- It’s our job, as your parents, to prepare you and teach you how to do it the right way.
- Between the two of us, we have lots of experience (Mommy has WAY more, though) and we have a lot of tips and techniques that we’ll pass along so you’ll be successful at it.
- At first you’ll probably just do it with one person, but eventually you’ll probably do it with a whole group of people! How much fun is that?!
- And, actually, you’ll probably do it by yourself sometime, too.
- There are certain things that you need to know in order to keep yourself safe, and we’ll be sure to teach those things to you as well.
- It really is fun, kids. There’s nothing to be worried about! I promise!
Dylan responses was “NO WAY. I’m never doing that!” Zach, as expected, was a bit more intrigued, but couldn’t wrap his mind around the situation. He kept saying “Really? People do that?! REALLY?!”
Yes, kids. Some day you’re going to move out and not live with your mom and dad anymore.
Photo via iStock Photo
More on Babble: