I was recently invited on an all-expense paid trip to Jamaica, and I realized how amazing it would be to bring my whole family on an international family vacation. While we are used to traveling to my family’s native country, it’s not an actual vacation and we sure aren’t tourists. There are many benefits in taking an international family vacation.
During my trip, I realized that being a tourist is so much fun. Being able to experience other cultures, foods, and adventures with my kids is high on my bucket list of things we must do together. The planning began once I returned home and shared all I had experienced. We are in the process of planning our first international family vacation to a destination of our dreams.
Here are 10 reasons to really consider taking an international family vacation.
- Experience all-inclusive resorts – Staying at an all-inclusive resort has amazing perks, from daycare to various recreational activities to restaurants on property.
- Live the history lesson – A history lesson like no other. Learn about what you are experiencing by actually being there in person.
- Be adventurous as a family – Many attractions have tourist families in mind and offer amazing family fun. There is always something for everyone. I found 5 family fun adventures in Jamaica.
- Feast on authentic foods – Sure you can have ethnic foods in the states, but it will never be like food from its country of origin. Feast on delicious cuisine as a family.
- Opportunities to learn native language – Learning another language or dialect can be fascinating. In Jamaica, our guide and hotel staff were open to teaching us phrases and pronunciations.
- View the world through your child’s eyes – Traveling alone as an adult is completely different than traveling as a family. Kids are sometimes more open to exploring and finding things we may have overlooked.
- Create memories like no other – A picture, an adventure, and even a meal can be a complete memory to treasure for a lifetime. Traveling the world with your family is something to take advantage of, if for nothing else than the memories!
- Experience nature and wildlife – Be amazed at the beauty of our Earth. It’s wonderful how different countries can be, where something so different can be so normal to others. Imagine goats being the dogs and cats of our country. I was shocked to see so many goats wandering around in Jamaica.
- Mingle with the locals – I was lucky enough to have Mother Nature intervene during my trip, and our bus was held up in traffic for a few hours. I made the most of my time and socialized with the locals and learned that nature often makes life stand still. To them, it was just another day, but to me, it was something so different.
- Low cost – Traveling internationally is sometimes cheaper than taking a national trip. When you consider family packages, all-inclusive resorts, and complementary transportation/guides by the resorts, it really is a bargain.
Have you been on an international family vacation or would you consider one?
Read more of Ruby’s writing at Growing Up Blackxican