We owe so much to the women in our lives. The women who’ve made and changed history. But as you reflect back on these historic female figures, don’t underestimate the history within your own little familia.
I am so very thankful for my parents who shared with me stories of the strong and courageous women within our own little family. I think back to my great grandmother who became the village doctor “curandera” and traveled miles and miles on foot or by donkey to help deliver babies and heal sick children. Her courage, wisdom and intellect left a legacy for me. Take a moment and reflect on the women who have positively impacted your family and share their stories with your kids.
So why don’t we take this weekend to celebrate Women’s History Month with both our girls AND boys?
Here are 5 Ways to Celebrate the Women in Your Family and Throughout History with Your Kids:
1. Pull out your family albums and do some storytelling about how hardworking, fun, amazing, determined and smart the women are in your family. You have your very own “SheHeroes” in your family.
2. Give your son or daughter a children’s book of a woman who has influenced our history. Here’s a great list of Celebrating Women of Courage and Character books.
3. Donate or serve at your local charity that helps to empower and improve the lives of women.
4. Write a letter to a woman who has impacted your life (teacher, politician, relative, author). Ask your child to do some brainstorming of their own and send your letters off together.
5. Take a moment to share the history of women in your familia with your kids. This is the perfect excuse to call or visit grandma or another female relative and hear stories of their life.
image courtesy of Deborah J Stewart