5 Things I Learned at Full Figured Fashion WeekMonique Frausto
I’m still in New York City as I write this post. There’s just something about this city that makes it hard to leave. Never mind the fact that I’ve spent the last week here indulging in Full Figured Fashion Week. Yes, an entire week of plus size fashion. Something you won’t find in any other city.
As the time comes for me to leave the Big Apple, I can’t help but sit here and reflect on my week. There are a long list of things I’ve seen and experienced, but I want to share what I’ve learned. Because, as much as I’d like to think I know a lot about the plus size fashion community, it takes events like Full Figured Fashion Week to educate me on our evolving world of fashion.
- We need more events like this, in our own communities. Plus size women are hungry (no pun intended) for fashion events that feature the clothes they want to wear—on models that represent their body types.
- Plus size fashion bloggers have more influence in the community and with each other than they realize. When we see one succeed, we know there are more opportunities ahead for us. And when a reader see’s a blogger rocking an outfit, that she didn’t think she could wear, it inspires her to try the look on herself.
- The plus size woman wants to see more daring fashion. Fashion brands need to step up their game. The minute bold prints and curve-loving cuts hit the runway, the audience went wild. And I’ve seen quite a few crop tops on curvy women this week.
- There is a need for more diversity in the mainstream plus size fashion world. This means not only a range of sizes, but also ethnicities. We need our plus size fashion brands to reflect the women who actually buy their clothes.
- Style is internal. No matter what is on trend or on the cover of the latest magazine, style is something that lies within us—regardless of size. As long as you carry that inside you, you can wear whatever you want…no excuses.