After two boys died in separate incidents from choking on the plastic darts that came with their toy dart guns, the Consumer Products Safety Commission has announced a recall of some 1.8 million of the toys.
The boys, one in Chicago and one in Milwaukee, had chewed on the small plastic darts, which accidentally slipped into their throats. The suction cup tips of the darts blocked their ability to breathed and they asphyxiated.
If you’ve got older kids and think this doesn’t apply to you, think again.
The boys were 9 and 10 years old.
The dart gun sets were sold nationwide at Family Dollar stores and imported by Henry Gordy International in New Jersey, which, according to the CPSC, refused to participate in the recall. Family Dollar stores, which sold exclusively the $1.50 “Auto Fire” sets between 2005 and 2009, are taking part in the recall.
The CPSC recommends immediately taking the dart guns and darts away and discarding them. Family Dollar will offer a refund.
Meet the Parents of ‘Babies’ Babies
Sleepovers and Gay Parents — Bad Idea?
Mom Who Dropped Kids at Mall Lived Criminal Justice’ Hell
2 Biggest Mistakes Parents Make with Their Kids’ Teeth
Is It Sometimes Wrong to Keep Preemies Alive?
Two Similar Hospitals, Two Vastly Different C-Section Rates
Raising Rich Kids: 5 Easy Steps
No More Games, Let’s Just Ban Ads to Kids
How Isabella’ Swept the Nation (It Wasn’t Twilight!)
Forcing Parents to Volunteer at School
The 17-Year-Old Toddler
Blogger’s Son Survives; Now a New Reality
Did Babies’ Filmmaker Break the Law?
10 Best, 10 Worst Cities for Moms
Girl Catches Disney’s Grammar Error
Pampers Under Investigation
The Right Age to Start Kindergarten
Baby Name Near Misses
Germans Invent Cuddle Spray
Swedish Docs Stop Circumcisions
When Dad-to-Be Thinks Birth is Nasty
Stop Overpraising. Now.
Banned! No More Happy Meals Toys in Silicon Valley
Beginning of the End of Happy Meals