Recently we did a piece called 25 Things That Will Make You Feel Old … Because Being a Parent Isn’t Enough. Our points of reference for the piece were pop culture touchstones, like Madonna, Seinfeld, and wine coolers. But there are oodles of other things that make us feel old, things that are more tangible and far more real.
We went to our Facebook page and asked our readers, “What makes you feel old?” And the responses? Well they were great, of course, ’cause our readers rule and all. Here are 25 insights into what makes our Facebook followers — and maybe you and me — feel old. Which one/s do you relate to?
1. My four sons.
2. When I realized I couldn’t go on the swings at the park without getting nauseous.
3. Explaining to kids how things worked back in my day.
4. The fact that my babies are getting big!
5. “Some” new music … lacking “music”
7. Nirvana on a classic rock station.
8. Friends is on Nick at Nite!
9. Loving every song on the radio and then they announce that it’s “retro lunch”
10. Having grown kids. My oldest is 20, and I feel like I was just 20!
11. My daughter saying to me, ” Mommy I watched a movie at grandma’s house on a really old machine called a VCR!”
12. … My body reminding me that it will fight back in the form of many pains and aches if it is not taken care of! Ugh!
13. Kids I babysat having babies!
14. Almost nine grandchildren ranging in age from 16 to one and one more on the way … at 54 years old.
15. How ’80s styles are coming back. I saw stirrups … stirrups! And high tops, and the kids are sporting it like it’s new or something.
16. My age. HATE that number!!! If we could just get rid of that …
17. Grey hair … HATE IT!
18. Bands I knew growing up entering the Hall of Fame.
19. Since I had (my baby) I can’t remember anything … I feel like my mind is deteriorating as we speak.
20. I’m 60 and nothing makes me feel old unless I allow it to.
Image: Via Morgue File