Categories
Loading
Welcome to Babble,
Settings
Sign Out

Get the Babble Newsletter!

Already have an account? .

4-Year-Old Girl Shocked By Electrified Scaffolding Outside Grandmothers Home

4-Year-Old Girl Shocked By Electrified Scaffolding Outside Grandmother's Home via Babble

This pole shocked little Laila last Monday.

As a parent, you make sure your kids are safe and teach them to never touch an electric socket or a hot stove. Would you ever think of teaching them not to touch what looks like a pole in the street? You might after reading this story.

Little Laila Davis spent last Monday at her grandmother’s home, along with her 8-year-old sister. When the girls were ready to go home, the grandmother took them downstairs to wait for their father to pick them up. While waiting, Laila, touched a piece of scaffolding right outside the building and began screaming. The grandmother didn’t know exactly what was happening but ran over the Laila and managed to catch her before she fell to the ground.

It was later determined that Laila has encountered a piece of scaffolding that was “electrified as a result of a missing piece that connects two wires and the lack of a grounding device.”

The NY Daily News reports that the girl was taken to New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center and stayed overnight.

Laila recalls what happened: “It felt like a hot thing. I was shaking. I was crying. It hurt. It hurt on my arm and my breathing place.”

Her father, Jamell Davis, says she is afraid of going back near the house again, “She cries in the night. She’s afraid to go to the playground in front of the building. This used to be her little domain.”

The family plans to sue the city since the building is a public housing and run by the New York City Housing Authority.

My mother used to always tell us to not step on manholes and she worried about walking near streetlights when it rained, but I always thought she was a bit overprotective and never really put much thought into it. Obviously, if there were wires popping out of it or if it seemed otherwise damaged, it would be common sense not to touch them. But we’ve all heard of the stories where dogs were killed on NYC streets from being shocked by some electric current on the ground.

Do you consider poles, street lights, and manholes dangerous in your town/city or do you take it for granted that you and your child won’t get shocked?

 

Image: NY Daily News


Follow Danielle on Twitter and Facebook

More from Danielle

10 Things A Mother-in-law Should NEVER Utter To A Daughter-in-law

10 Things a Mother Should Never Say to Her Daughter

10 Vows Mothers-In-Law Should Take During Wedding Season

Girls Hospitalized After School Bans Sunscreen On Field Day

8-Year-Old Stripped Down, Forcibly Given Bath In School

10 Things a Father Needs to Tell His Daughter

 

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest
Tagged as:

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Learn More.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest