5 Must-Have Apps To Help Mom Pull Off ThanksgivingStephanie Precourt
I know Thanksgiving is, like, tomorrow but I haven’t even gone shopping for what I need to make yet. Gah.
I’m in charge of quite a bit of the appetizers and sides, and truth be told you can forget my fancy stand mixer — my favorite kitchen tool just might be my iPhone (okay, it’s probably tied with a glass of wine.) Check out these 5 must-have apps to help us all get through Thanksgiving!
1. Chow Thanksgiving Dinner Coach Free for the iPhone and iPad, Chow is the personal coach in the kitchen for Thanksgiving newbies. Nine traditional Thanksgiving recipes are easy to follow and sure to be crowd pleasers. They’ll also make you look like you totally know what you’re doing.
2. Thanksgiving Menu Maker Free for the iPad, this menu maker does it all for you, and even creates the shopping list. Includes over 75 recipes, how-to videos, and a guide for what to serve to drink. Probably the best feature is the prep and timing detail — you’ll know just when to put each item in the oven to have it all ready on time.
3. Substitutions — You know, when you are out of just one ingredient and your neighbors aren’t home? Discover what you can substitute with what you already have on hand. Also great for cooking with food allergies and sensitivities in mind. ($1.99 for iPad or iPhone.)
4. Digital Recipe Sidekick — Free for Android, this app will read aloud recipes imported from Allrecipes, Epicurious, and more in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. The hands-free option is perfect when your paws are covered in flour or poultry.
5. OpenTable Let’s face it, kitchen disasters can happen or some people would rather have someone else serve up the main course. OpenTable is free for all mobile devices and directs you to an open restaurant nearby.
What are you making for Thanksgiving dinner? Got any favorite apps?
Be sure to check out the Google Doodle for Thanksgiving – lets the kids and you decorate the turkey!