We all know the dangers of our pets consuming tinsel, poinsettias, or even worse during the holiday season. Like kids, our pets get excited and sometimes overly excited during the holidays. Between the stream of guests over the house and the extra presents and decorations, our pets can easily get lost in the mix.
There are some not as widely known dangers that can come to our pets during the hustle and bustle of festivities:
Chocolate: Most of us know that chocolate can be dangerous to dogs, but baker’s chocolate is particularly dangerous. “Baker’s chocolate is the worst. It can cause severe toxicity. It’s a big deal,” says veterinarian Dr. Tara Cumley. “If your dog gets into baker’s chocolate, you need to get him in to the vet.”
Lights and Electric Wires: If you see burns in your pup’s mouth, get him to a vet. It may be a sign that he bit into electric wires, and if he’s a biter (or a puppy) only allow him near wires when you can supervise him.
Hooks and Cats: Vets report that cats are found with hooks stuck in their mouths, stomachs, and intestines.
Mistletoe: It might be a cute tradition to hang mistletoe in your home, but it can be deadly to your pets, even more than poinsettias, which Cumley says are not as harmful.
Door and Gates: This has been one of my biggest fears since we got our pup last year. She used to get very excited when the door opened as a young puppy so I would always place her in her cage when people came in, especially when they had packages and things to bring in that required the door to remain open. Holiday guests often don’t realize that gate or door must stay closed so if you cannot watch your pup at all times, it’s better to keep him in his crate or a closed-off room. Sadly, because of this, many pets get hit by cars during the holiday season.
Do you take any special precautions for your pets during the holiday season?
Image: Amanda Sullivan
Babble’s Baby-proofing Tips: Learn more about poison control for your family