Allow me to start off by stating the obvious: Marriage is not the be-all and end-all of happiness. It’s just not. While I’ve been in a happy (I think) and committed (I hope) marriage for nearly 14 years, I have no doubt that love and personal happiness belong to those without a marriage license.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get down to brass tacks. I stumbled upon Jezebel’s Ten Very Good Reasons You Aren’t Married Yet and found myself doing the obnoxious head nod. You know, that thing you do when you read something so spot on that you wish you could leap through the computer and French kiss the author? OK, maybe that’s just me.
Author Samhita Mukhopadhyay brilliantly discussed how damaging relationship self-help books can be with their collective theory that, “… [male] judgments should be the barometer for all female behavior. And all female behavior should lead to marriage, obviously.” It’s pretty clear Mukhopadhyay and today’s woman have their doubts.
Ladies, check out these 5 solid reasons you might be holding off on the whole marriage thing:
1. You’re waiting on marriage equality: You won’t say your I do’s until everyone who wants to can. That’s the personal power of love, y’all.
2. You just don’t wanna: Not every girl grows up dreaming of her wedding day. You’re a believer of love and eternal happiness, but the institution of marriage just isn’t your bag.
3. You ain’t got the money, Honey: I recently published that the average wedding budget is $27,021 (and upwards of $65K for those who marry in Manhattan). Even if you could wrap your finances around a wedding day, you may have legitimate financial concerns about married life in general.
4. Things are cool the way they are: Marriage is great and everything but right now you’re loving life and are in no particular hurry to change things.
5. You’re married to your career: Hey, if ever there was a time to be career-focused, it was before marriage and babies. You’ve got big dreams and right now you simply don’t need the distraction.
For 5 more very good reasons you aren’t betting half your stuff on forever, visit Jezebel.
What are your thoughts on marriage and today’s woman?
More on Strollerderby: