The living room still looks like a present explosion, and the volume in the house is incredibly loud for eight-thirty in the morning, but I am relieved that the kids have two weeks off. I know some parents dread this school vacation, but I actually look forward to it. I’ve got 5 reasons I love having the kids home for winter break, actually …
1. Sleeping in — There are no lunches to be made, backpacks to be packed, or buses to catch. I can sleep in and (thanks to toaster waffles and cereal) let them make their own breakfast. Now, if I could only get them to sleep in a little later. I’ll be working on that.
2. No bedtime — (You’d think this would help with number 1, but they still get up so darned early.) During Christmas vacation we can start a family movie or game night and stay up late without the consequences of being too tired for school in the morning. I love having that little extra freedom with them.
3. Built-in babysitters — With my older boys home all day, I have extra people to entertain their three-year-old sister. It’s awesome.
4. Pajama day, every day — Having all four kids home means I probably won’t be going anywhere. So, what’s the point of getting dressed?
5. I get to send them back to school when it’s over — Nearing the last few days or so, we’re all ready to get back to a normal schedule, for sure. Thankfully one of the best parts about winter break is when it’s over.
And of course, truthfully, I love having my kids home because I enjoy them. I miss them when they’re at school all day and there’s just too much rush and homework and I feel like I’m always snapping instead of gentle-mothering like I want to do. Winter break is a nice time for us all to take it easy and get a head start for a better year.
What do you love or hate about having the kids out of school for winter break?