5 Reasons the Attack on Planned Parenthood is an Attack on All FamiliesSunny Chanel
Planned Parenthood – the national health care provider – is under fire. Sure, they have had their fair share of enemies and critics but now things are now getting way out of hand. It’s gotten so heated, so out of wack, that there may be a government shutdown because of ill-advised Republican pressure over it’s funding.
Many Republicans believe their stand against Planned Parenthood is over abortion, but the thing is, the abortions at their clinics are not funded by government money. That means that those fighting the Planned Parenthood funding are fighting pap smears, cancer screenings, disease prevention and birth control.
“One in five women in America have been to a Planned Parenthood health center for basic health care,” Cecile Richards the president of Planned Parenthood recently said. “Ninety-seven percent of our services are basic preventative care that women rely on in communities across this country. Women and men of all parties and all walks of life are concerned about these kinds of efforts to play politics with women’s health care access.”
The threat of a government shutdown over Planned Parenthood is not just a misguided battle on their abortion services – which is just a fraction of their offerings – but on women and families everywhere. Here are 5 ways in which the attack on Planned Parenthood is an attack on us all.
1) Birth Control. If the anti-abortionists would like to see less abortions, then one way to make that happen. By providing safe and affordable birth control. Planned Parenthood has been instrumental in equipping countless women and men with birth control options.
2) Pap Smears By providing their affordable pap smears and annual check ups, many mothers and daughters have been saved by early detection of disease and cancers.
3) Breast Exams Breast cancer is sadly quite prevalent in our country. Planned Parenthood screens and does extensive breast examinations each and every day saving many a family member.
4) STDs By identifying and curing a variety of sexual transmitted diseases, they aid in helping keep anyone and everyone that is sexually active healthier, aiding the community as a whole.
5) And they just don’t deal with sexual and reproductive health services. Some of their health care centers also do diabetes, cholesterol, anemia, high blood pressure, and thyroid screenings. They also administer flu vaccines and perform general physical exams. Things that every family can use.
Do you think that the fight against Planned Parenthood is unfair?