Allergic 7-Year-Old Dies After Eating Peanut In SchoolDanielle Sullivan
Laura Pendleton had done everything humanly possible to ensure that her highly allergic daughter was kept away from peanuts at school. Furthermore, if she was ever exposed, a plan had been made between the mom and the school.
Tragically, the plans were not implemented after her 7-year-old daughter, Ammaria Johnson consumed a peanut on January 3rd at Chesterfield County elementary school in Virginia.
She immediately began having trouble breathing and broke out in hives. Tragically, by the time medical professionals arrived, she had gone in to cardiac arrest and she died.
Mrs. Pendleton said her daughter had an “allergy action plan at the school, and says she authorized the school to give her child Benadryl during an allergic reaction but “they didn’t do that.” When she tried to provide the school with an EpiPen in case of an emergency, she was told to keep it at home.
I’ve always thought that having a child who is severely allergic to a food is akin to living in a certain kind of hell. There were a few classmates of my children throughout the years that were allergic to peanuts. Each situation was different; some kids could eat in the same room but at a different table while others ate in an entirely different room to prevent any cross contamination. With more kids having peanut allergies, there is no room for error yet it seems that each school has different rules regarding lunchtime and precautions.
The most disturbing and horrifying part of the story is that little Ammaria’s death was preventable: she should have never been able to eat the peanut and once she did, an EpiPen would have saved her life.
What policy does your child’s school have regarding peanut allergies?
Image: NY Daily News