It feels like we’ve been swimming in recalls this holiday season, and here’s another one with a terribly sad back story. The Simplicity crib recall of July has been reissued because an infant has died.
The seven-month-old Kentucky baby became entrapped in September when a part of the crib broke. It’s a tragedy all around, but even more so because the crib had already been recalled two months earlier – after ten (count ’em, ten) deaths of infants.
The last to die before the July recall was issued was an 8-month-old from Houston, who the Consumer Product Safety Commission says became entrapped and suffocated between the drop side and the crib mattress when a plastic connector on the drop side broke.
We can’t know why the Kentucky family was still using the crib. Perhaps they simply hadn’t heard about the recall. But their tragic loss is a stark reminder that recalls aren’t sent out just to be a pain in your butt.
I recall a lot of parents during the Thomas the Tank lead scare rolling their eyes and saying “well, my kid doesn’t suck on it, they’re fine.” Mom, Dad, recalls are expensive. They’re a massive undertaking. The CPSC doesn’t undertake them with no cause.
It took two years to recall toy darts that kids were choking on – even after a death – so chances are when the CPSC says jump, you might want to ask “how high.”
This Simplicity Crib recall has now been expanded to ALL Simplicity drop side cribs, including those with the Graco log and those with a Winnie the Pooh motif. The CPSC has already recalled over 2 million because the plastic hardware can break or deform, causing the drop side to detach and creating a space between the drop side and the crib mattress. Kids getting stuck in that space risk entrapment and suffocation.
If your child is sleeping in one, the CPSC recommends immediately removing them and finding alternate sleeping arrangements while you contact the store where the crib was purchased.
More by this author: