April Fool’s Day is coming up on Friday. This holiday has been celebrated since at least the days of Chaucer, but every year, people are still taken by surprise when someone pulls a prank on them. Will you be ready?
Here are six great pranks to pull on your kids. They’re funny without being mean, and playful without picking on anyone. The trick to a good prank is to pick one that will have your kids laughing, not feeling like they’re being laughed at.
- Happy Birthday! – A friend of mine last year celebrated April Fool’s by decorating the house for his daughter’s “birthday” while she slept. She woke up to a big “Happy Birthday!” banner and streamers, with a special birthday breakfast waiting.
- Mess With Breakfast – Whether you serve up green eggs and ham or glue Dad’s silverware to his plate, there are dozens of fun pranks to play at the breakfast table. Many are simple enough that you can get the kids involved in pranking their other parent.
- Switch Things Up – Make a simple switch to get big laughs. You could pack your child’s things for the school day in your briefcase, for example, or swap lunchboxes with your kid. Mine never get tired of pretending to be me. It cracks them up every time.
- Turn The World Around – It’s amazing how funny turning something upside down can be. Flip the art on your walls, your living room set, or the breakfast table and chairs, and watch your kids dissolve in laughter. Plus moving that furniture gives you an excuse to clean under it. You know you want to.
- Wear PJs All Day – Being allowed to prance off to school in PJs is one of my preschooler’s prize experiences. How much more fun to see the whole family stay in their jammies as we get ready for school and work? You don’t really have to work in your PJs of course. Though it could be fun to carry the prank to the office, you could also just bring a change of clothes and change there.
- Take A “Field Trip” - You can easily transform your home into a place your kids would love to visit. Whether you build a little Eiffel Tower in the living room and eat croissants in “Paris” or don wizard’s robes for a day at Hogwarts is up to you. Pick a “destination” your kids love and work a little decorative magic for a big reward – smiles all day!
For more great pranks, check out Instructables round-up of funny April Fool’s ideas.
Remember, April Fool’s Day is this Friday. No joke.
Photo: Mark Kriegsman