Are trampolines dangerous? We see them in backyards across the country (and some of us may even have a trampoline of our own), but did you realize trampolines can cause some pretty serious injuries?
Yes, I realize that many things have been found to cause injuries and, really, we need to put our kids in a bubble wrap suit just to protect them from everyday fluke accidents. Still, the dangers of trampolines can’t be disputed, given the number of injuries related to this backyard apparatus.
I didn’t think twice about it when my son went to an end-of-the year party and hopped around with a gaggle of his friends on a trampoline. But maybe I should have.
Kids are breaking body parts and suffering other injuries because trampolines aren’t as safe as we once thought they were. And don’t let the net surrounding the trampoline fool you into believing they’re totally safe.
There are 100,000 trampoline-related injuries every year, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports, while the American Academy of Pediatrics calls trampoline accidents “a national epidemic.”
Injuries associate with trampolines are so common that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends “Parents should never purchase a home trampoline or allow children to use home trampolines.”
- Read the manufacturer’s safety guidelines and follow the product rules.
- Only allow one person on the trampoline at a time.
- Always supervise children on a trampoline.
- Do not allow children to do tricks, such as flips and somersaults.
- Make sure the trampoline is on level ground and has not sunken into the ground.
- Do not keep a ladder attached to a trampoline when you can’t supervise.
- Check all springs to make sure they are properly connected and not weathered.
Personally, we quickly dismissed the idea of getting a trampoline because we didn’t have a good, level area to set one up that wasn’t too close to trees and other objects. Also? My husband had no interest in mowing around one or having to move it for mowing!
Do you have a trampoline in your backyard? Have any children suffered injuries?
Trampolines jumped to the top of our list, but check out more Common Summertime Injuries for Kids!