Boy Impaled By Bamboo Spike (Graphic Photo)

boy impaled, virginia boy impaled, impaled bamboo stick, impalement protocol, dez heal, david heal

Fortunately and ironically, Dez Heal is 'healing' very well.

Miracles come in many forms. Some are saying that one Virginia boy experienced a miracle last week after being severely injured while rough-housing.

Dez Heal, 13 was playing with bamboo sticks and fooling around like boys his age do. He and his friends were pretending to be real life ninjas and jumping around with sticks. While it wasn’t the smartest thing, it was so typical of active play among boys (and what every mother worries about when she tells her kids to stop doing this or that before they get hurt). Unfortunately, Dez played the ninja game until he did get seriously hurt in a freak accident.

His friend, Nicholas Blencowe, was there and described it to local television station, WSET, “I guess when he jumped, the stick must have went forward. And when he hit the ground, the stick went in his neck.”

His father, David Heal was inside the house but ran out when he heard frantic screams and saw his son impaled by the bamboo stick. “It entered right here on the right side, then came out about three inches back, just behind his ear,” said his dad.

The father quickly called 911, and the boy was rushed to a local hospital before being transferred to University of Virginia Medical Center where doctors spent five hours carefully removing it. In a very lucky break,  the pole didn’t hit an artery.  See the very graphic photo here of Dez in the hospital.

When I was little my house and every house on our block, had a fence with black metal spikes around the trim and whenever we would skate down the block and grab onto the fence in a quick stop, our mothers would always tell us to be careful that we didn’t get impaled. We laughed and continued to do it. Kids never think that they will get hurt.

God forbid, your child ever does get impaled by an object, doctors say to do exactly what dad David Heal did: do not remove the object!

“It sounds counter-intuitive, but it’s important to leave the object in place,” Dr. Abi Mehrotra, an emergency medicine expert at University of North Carolina, told ABC News. “The object may be stopping the bleeding.”

Tagged as:

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Learn More.