BREAKING NEWS: One Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect is Dead, the Other is Still at Large

Boston Marathon bombers
The mystery of Monday’s bombing at the 117th Boston Marathon may have been solved

During the day on Thursday, the FBI released photos of two suspects from the bombings at Monday’s Boston Marathon.

From Thursday evening to early Friday morning, developments in the case were rapid after a campus security officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was murdered and the suspects in that case are also believed to be connected to the Marathon terrorism case.

According to The New York Times, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass., is still on the loose, and his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, is dead.

A massive manhunt for Dzokhar is underway in Boston and the surrounding areas as of Friday morning as residents are being strongly urged to stay indoors, public transportation has been suspect, and the FAA has issued a no-fly zone over the area in question.

The suspects are said to be from Chechnya and moved to the United States with their family in 2002. The Times reports they had a “substantial” presence on social media.

Law enforcement officials are going through houses in Watertown, Mass., which is outside of Boston, looking for the second suspect. Residents are being advised to stay inside, not answer their doors and stay away from windows.

The drama started at 10 p.m. EST on Thursday night when a 7-Eleven in Cambridge, Mass., was robbed. A report came in at 10:30 about the murder of the MIT officer in his police cruiser. Shortly thereafter, a Mercedes SUV was carjacked, although the driver was later released, uninjured.

Police were on the lookout for the vehicle and pursued it into Watertown, Mass., at which time “explosive devices were reportedly thrown from car by the suspects,” according to a statement by authorities. Gunfire was exchanged between police and the suspects.
Eyewitnesses reported the suspects “had a large, unwieldy bomb that he said looked ‘like a pressure cooker.'”

During the pursuit of the suspects, another police officer was seriously injured and Tamerlan Tsarnaev was critically wounded by gunshot wounds and declared dead at 1:35 a.m. at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital.

Current news reports say police have surrounded a house with guns drawn in Watertown.


Photo credit: iStockphoto

More from Meredith on Babble:

Follow Meredith on Twitter and check out her weekly column every Friday on the Op-Ed page of The Denver Post at

Article Posted 3 years Ago
share this article
facebook twitter tumblr pinterest
See Comments
what do you think?
share this article
facebook twitter tumblr pinterest
See Comments
what do you think?
what do you think?
close comments
Subscribe to the
Follow us on