Couple Sues Disney For Childs Facial Burns Caused By Hot NachosDanielle Sullivan
Michael and Maria Harris of Chula Vista, California filed a lawsuit against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts after claiming their son received severe burns at Orlando’s Magic Kingdom.
According to Sean Cahill, the attorney representing the family, 4-year-old Isaiah Harris was hurt at Cosmic Ray’s Starlite Café. The lawsuit claims the child will endure lasting pain and suffering and that his parents, Michael and Maria Harris, suffered serious emotional distress. The couple is also worried that their son’s lip will be permanently scarred.
The boy allegedly grabbed a food tray to keep from falling out of a wobbly chair when a cup of scalding hot nacho cheese flew on to his face, burning his upper lip and other spots.
USA Today reports Cahill stated that food served to customers should never reach that temperature:
“The cheese should not have been that hot,” said Cahill. “Nobody has a reasonable expectation that it be served at a temperature causing immediate and severe burns on contact.”
According to the lawsuit, there was no effort on Disney’s part to regulate and monitor the temperature of the nacho cheese that was being served to young children.
It’s possible that the liquid cheese was placed in the microwave to such a high temperature that it caused immediate burns to the child’s face. The picture released of Isaiah show a definite injured child who undoubtedly suffered from the injury.
Disney issued the following statement: “It’s unfortunate when any child gets injured. We just received notice of the lawsuit, and we are currently reviewing it.”
Image: USA Today