Crocs Save Child's Lifesandymaple
Crocs, those weird looking clogs that most people either love or hate with a passion, have gotten a bad rap over the past few years. One story after another has proclaimed the rubber footwear to be hazardous to children. It seems that Crocs are always getting caught in escalators and Time Magazine found them ugly enough to merit inclusion on their list of the 50 Worst Inventions of all time.
But while Crocs may be banned in hospitals and forbidden at schools, there’s at least one parent who is thankful her child owns a pair. Paramedics in the English town of South Ockendon, Essex, say the funky footwear saved the life of three-year-old Harley Sutton-Dormer.
Little Harley was in a changing room at a local swimming pool with his mother we he picked up a hair dryer that someone had left plugged in. His mother describes what happened next:
“A bright blue bolt of electricity went down his arm and shot out his side. It was awful, he was screaming in agony and shaking. The T-shirt and jumper he was wearing are charred and he’s got an exit burn on his side about the size of a five pence piece. The whole thing has left him in shock.”
He may be shocked and burned, but he’s not more seriously injured or even dead because, according to the paramedics on the scene, the Crocs he was wearing acted as insulators and stopped the electricity from moving through his legs.
While many of us may see Crocs as a statement about the value of comfort over beauty, I suspect that for little Harley’s parents, those molded pieces of holey rubber are the most beautiful shoes in the world.
More from this author: