I look forward to this day every year, when we — along with most of the country — fall back one hour to return to standard time as Daylight Savings ends. Yes, I’ll eventually complain about how early the sun sets, but oh that glorious extra hour tonight!
I’ve got a handful of ideas for that bonus sixty minutes…
1. Sleep – I’ll just get right to the point. This is probably the best way to spend any free time, especially if you are a parent no matter what age your child is. Period.
2. Read – Finally crack open or finish that book you’ve been meaning to read. This might help you achieve #1.
3. Actually watch Saturday Night Live on Saturday night – I can’t remember the last time I watched the show live instead of online a couple days later. (And I checked — it is live tonight with host Charlie Day and musical guest Maroon 5. You’re welcome.)
4. Game or movie night with the kids – Let them go stay up later and pile on the couch for a family flick or gather around the table for a board game. Make a mental note-to-self to do this more often than just during the yearly time change.
5. Alone time with your better half – You know what I’m talking about. A foot rub and massage fit in nicely as well.
What will you do with your extra hour?
Photo credit: Josh Rothman