Deaf Twin Sisters, 8, Adopted from Ethiopia, Get an Early Christmas Present: The Gift of Hearing (VIDEO)Meredith Carroll
It was one year ago that twins Ruby and Kate were adopted by Chris and Al Shasteen in Sand Springs, Okla. The girls had been in an Ethiopian orphanage — abandoned two weeks apart.
Adding to the trauma of growing up in a war-torn country and without parents, both girls are deaf.
“Having their communication issue in a country like Ethiopia,” mom Chris Shasteen said, “Your future is not entirely bright.”
That all changed just a few weeks ago when the girls underwent a procedure to receive Cochlear implants to help them hear.
“Can you hear mama?” Chris asked daughter Ruby after she received hers. And she did.
If you believe in Christmas(time) miracles, then this video is for you:
Photo & video credit: KFOR.com
More from Meredith on Babble’s Mom blog:
- Naughty, Naughty Elves: 10 Elf-Shaming Photos That Will Put Your Kids on the Nice List’ by Default
- 25 Ways Not to Celebrate Hanukkah, According to Etsy
- Santa Came Early This Year: 10 Hilariously Awkward Family Christmas Photos
- Pinterest Anonymous: 10 Super-Obsessive Pinterest Trends that Indicate You May Have a Problem
- Yes, Please: Vintage Magazine Offers ‘Lessons in Manners for Children’ with Unintentional Hilarity (PHOTOS)
- ‘What if Wonder Woman Was a Disney Princess” and 19 Other Classic Characters Creatively Reimagined