Categories
Loading
Welcome to Babble,
Settings
Sign Out

Get the Babble Newsletter!

Already have an account? .

Doctors Save Baby Who Swallowed Pacifier and Moms Everywhere (Including Me!) Freak Out

binkyOh geez, oh man!

I’m already holding a tiny mirror underneath baby’s nose to check for breathing at least three times a night. The last thing a new mom needs to be stressing about is the possibility that her baby could swallow its pacifier. And yet, apparently, it’s a very real although rare possibility.

As Today Moms reports, doctors save a 5-month-old Michigan boy from choking to death after he swallowed a pacifier at daycare.

Dr. Matt Warpinski works in the emergency department of Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills, Michigan and tells the website he was blown away.

“I have never seen anything [like] this before.”

The baby’s mom, Adrienne Herrick, says the daycare told her that baby Cameron was bouncing on the lap of a daycare worker with his pacifier in his mouth. Somehow he stumbled and pushed the binky into his mouth. The daycare worker tried to pull it out at the same time Cameron took a huge breath and sucked it into his throat.

The daycare worked called 911 and the boy was rushed to the emergency room. Doctors think that the baby pulled the binky farther into his throat every time he struggled to take a deep breath. Fortunately they were able to stabilize the little guy and and surgically remove the pacifier through his mouth, piece by piece.

Today Cameron is doing just fine but I don’t know that I’ll ever be the same again after reading that story. My daughter is 4-years-old and I still slice her grapes in half. My husband and I are terrified of choking but I never figured the one thing I put in my baby’s mouth for hours every day could actually be swallowed.

Dr. Gary Smith, an American Academy of Pediatrics spokesman, tells Today Moms that choking on pacifiers used to be common until the Consumer Product Safety Commission set specific standards for all pacifiers.

“The shield that goes outside the mouth is supposed to be large enough that it won’t allow passage [past] the gums, the teeth, and back into the throat,” he says.

Pacifiers also have holes in them so if they do become stuck air can still pass through. That’s probably what saved Cameron’s life, allowing him to breathe long enough that doctors could take over.

Still, I’m traumatized. I’m 5-months pregnant and am already reconsidering pacifier use. I mean, I know swallowing the thing could be rare but now I’m constantly going to be obsessed by the possibility. Do they  make binkies with extra large shields?

For more on this story, and to find out the most commonly swallowed objects by children, read more  here.

Image: flickr.com/houseinprogress

Image source: fanforum.com

Read more from Monica on Babble:

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest
Tagged as: ,

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Learn More.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest