Experts Say This One Thing Helps Make Kids Smart and Life WAY EasierMonica Bielanko
Do you put your kids to bed at the same time every night?
I do. But mostly because I start clock-watching after dinner, because kids’ bedtime means mom funtime.
Okay, honestly, I’m so tired these days I don’t last much later than their 8pm bedtime. But still, it’s nice to have a couple child-free moments to wind down.
Aside from making life way easier for harried parents, there’s a new reason to put your kids to bed at the same time every night: you’re making them smarter!
As Yahoo notes, helping your children gain a mental edge — and superior math and reading skills — may be as easy as tucking them into bed at the same time every night.
The research involved more than 11,000 kids, aged 3, 5, and 7. The kids who went to bed at all different times scored lower when asked to read a series of words on a card out loud, complete number-based tasks, and construct designs by putting together solid cubes with patterns while being monitored for speed and accuracy.
A quick note on how long kids of different ages should be sleeping each night, according to the National Sleep Foundation:
- Newborn babies 12 to 18 hours of sleep
- 1 to 3-year-olds 12 to 14 hours of sleep
- Preschoolers 11 to 13 hours of sleep
- 5 to 10-year-olds 10 to 11 hours of sleep
- Teenagers 8.5 to 9.25 hours of sleep
Do you put your kids to bed at the same time every night? How old are they and what time do you call it a day?
The study was published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health,
Read more from Monica on Babble:
- Resistance is Futile! We’re All Turning Into Our Parents! (PHOTOS)
- Stunning Breastfeeding Battle Between Mom & Rec Center Employee Caught On Tape
- 20 Hilarious Back-to-School Photos
- That Was Fast: Why I Feel Cheated By My Pregnant Wife
- Why I’m Choosing Homebirth After Two Easy Hospital Births