Steve Jobs, who has been on medical leave since January, took the stage this morning to kick off the iPad 2 event in San Francisco, saying after a standing ovation, “We’ve been working on this product for a long time, and I just didn’t want to miss the day.”
iPad has sold more than 15 million units so far, and the Washington post reports that Apple is prepared to take orders for 6.5 million iPads (first and second generation combined) in the first quarter of 2011.
We now finally know the features of the new iPad!
Here they are, and why you might want to snag one for the family:
According to reports from the Apple event, here are the new iPad features:
- Faster: a new “A-5″ dual-core chip. That means better graphics performance.
- Rear and front cameras: this will allow for video chatting
- 33 percent thinner
- Slightly lighter (1.3 instead of 1.5 lbs)
- Same cost (starting at $499)
- Same battery life
- Comes in white
- AT&T and Verizon data plans
Jobs says the iPad 2 will start shipping on March 11.
If we hadn’t already bought one last year, I would be very much lured by the video chat capabilities — imagine the grandparent-talking possibilities!